Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVDVideoSoft - PUP.Optional.InstallCore?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:46 AM

I've decided to create a thread about this thing that has been bugging me for a long time. Every time I scan my system with MBAM, it flags almost all essential system files of all DVDVideoSoft apps I have installed (that I downloaded straight from their own site, no third party web hosting mirror service). I've used their software for years, and side from some of the dumb "free offers" you naturally have to avoid, it's very good software. It has never caused me any infections or harm, but it's things like this that bug me, especially knowing what InstallCore is normally capable of doing.

Nothing weird has been going on, ever. Of all the symptoms I read from people infected with FusionCore/InstallCore, none fit my situation.

My only concern is the fact that MBAM flags almost all of DVDVideoSoft's system files (including stuff like the uninstall.exe) as a PUP.

If I'm to trust MBAM, I'd be better off uninstalling the apps, then cleaning up any mess left behind, because from what I can tell, if I let MBAM remove all the flagged files, all of DVDVideoSoft's apps will break and will become impossible to uninstall normally.

So to anyone who views this thread, what's your take on this? I kinda need their software, it's extremely useful. I avoid any and all "free offers", and otherwise clean up their mess if I do, but at the same time I can't help but want to trust MBAM, despite it possibly being a false positive. I need confirmation! :smash:

Edited by Foldingchair, 24 December 2016 - 05:48 AM.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:08 AM

Similar problem here when using AdwCleaner. The reported registry entires -HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\LXImageTool.ZIPTool and ZIPTool.1- are related to my licensed Ulead VideoStudio 11 which I've been using for years without any problem.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

#3 Foldingchair

Foldingchair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

I'll assume it's clean for now because everything has always been safe and nothing weird has been installed or happening as far as I can tell. Curious how AdwCleaner also does this sort of thing. It reminds me of FL Studio, in the past, if you installed the program (Legit or Warez) it also installed OpenCandy which you could remove with MBAM. Apparently it doesn't anymore these days, at least it didn't for me when I bought it earlier this year.

What's annoying of DVDVideoSoft's apps though is that almost all of their program files get flagged as PUP. Even the uninstaller. That's just dumb.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users