Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox in Windows 8.1 won't store history

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 moveon

moveon

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

This is a long running problem which I think started in autumn 2014. I suddenly lost lots of history I'd relied on to be able to find pages I half remembered. Settings still the same. Nothing else notable appeared to have happened to the machine at the time.

In 2015 the machine got a browser redirect infection, and eventually I ended up having to remove Firefox and all the hidden program files and things associated with it. I thought the reinstalled version might start doing as it was told with the history, but it never has. Only remembers that day's usage and won't keep it beyond that.

Which has its advantages for privacy perhaps, but it means that if there's anything I think there's the slightest possibility I want to find again, it has to go in favourites, and you never quite know at the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:02 AM

Hi, @moveon:

Disclaimer: I do not know the slightest thing about Windows 8/8.1, as I skipped that version.  But it ought not to matter re: Fx.

Hmmm, problems that have been going on since Autumn 2014????

That's rather a long time.

There have been many updates and changes both to Windows and to Fx since then.

And you did not say what Fx version you have now (the current version is 50.1.0)?

Most problems with Fx originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.

If you are still using the same profile since your troubles began in 2014, then I suggest starting with standard troubleshooting.

The steps range from merely "diagnostic/debugging" (such as Mozilla Safe Mode, not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode), to creating a new profile or even a new default profile using the Profile Manager, to ripping out everything related to Fx and starting from scratch.

Before you begin any of this, I would be sure to backup any critical data (such as bookmarks), using FEBE, Mozbackup (no longer supported, but still works OK for some folks) or other means.

These articles explain better than I can how to proceed with troubleshooting:

Standard Diagnostic - Firefox

Firefox - Fix problems

This article may specifically address your issue about not saving history:

Firefox won't save settings or remember information

Please let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

#3 moveon

moveon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

I had to delete the entire Firefox profile in 2015 to get rid of malware and started again with a new one. Yet this same problem still recurs as did long before the malware was there. It is very strange. Firefox is on the latest version, but it seems pretty irrelevant because as you say the problem has been there for such a long time.

Edited by moveon, 24 December 2016 - 07:02 AM.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hi:

Deleting a profile is generally not needed, and only when one is completely uninstalling all things related to Firefox for a new installation, from scratch.

If an old profile has gone bad, all one needs to do in most cases is to create a new one and switch to that for default, as mentioned earlier:

to creating a new profile or even a new default profile using the Profile Manager

In other words, the old profile can be kept, without using it, in most cases.  In other words, as long as it is not in use, an "old" profile causes no harm.

There are also hardware and global plug-in issues with Firefox that can cause problems.  So, too, can security applications cause problems.

The issue you describe sounds more like it relates to something corrupt or otherwise amiss in your profile (such as bad/outdated extensions, and/or wonky settings and/or security software conflicts).

These articles explain better than I can how to proceed in a logical manner with troubleshooting to isolate and (perhaps) resolve the underlying problem:

Standard Diagnostic - Firefox

Firefox - Fix problems

This article may specifically address your issue about not saving history:

Firefox won't save settings or remember information

Cheers,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users