Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Virus Detected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Infern0

Infern0

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

Hello,

I have Windows 2000 Professional and Trend Micro Pc-cillin Internet Security 2006 and pc-cillin keeps telling me ,(at least 20 times a day) that it has detected and blocked a network virus: (ms06-040Server_Service_Buffer_Overrun_Exploit). As i'm typing this post, it's already detected and blocked it 3 times. :thumbsup: Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty new at computers and am not sure why it's detecting it dozens of times per day and blocking it. It sure is annoying though when i'm playing a game and it pops up to notify me about the virus. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Infern0

Mod Edit: Topic moved to a more appropriate forum.

Edited by quietman7, 29 August 2006 - 10:08 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Infern0

Infern0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

Sigh...

this has popped up a total of 42 times today.

Posted Image

I have no idea what to do.
Posted Image

#3 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Infern0 , is your PC protected with all Microsoft security updates and patches. If not i suggest you take a look here. I think It would be wise to go to windows updates and at the very least grab all the critical and security updates you haven't installed.......most importantly the one mentioned in the link i provided.

Edited by FifeFlyer, 28 August 2006 - 07:54 PM.

#4 Infern0

Infern0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

Hello FifeFlyer,

I actually went to Windows Update this morning. This network virus is still giving me trouble.

Grrrr, I'm so lost.

Just to be sure, i'll go check for updates again.

Edited by Infern0, 28 August 2006 - 08:33 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Infern0

Infern0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

Apparently something happened before when I updated, because Windows Update said that there were available updates. Btw I got that patch too from the link you gave me Fife, thanks for the help. Now I have to wait and see if that virus comes around again.

EDIT: It's still happening. ****

Edited by Infern0, 28 August 2006 - 09:25 PM.

Posted Image

#6 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:13 AM

Hi again Infern0 , if you're now sure you have all the available windows updates installed i would re-boot your PC then go online and make sure your Pc-cillin Internet Security 2006 is fully up to date before running a full scan on your PC.
The alerts you are getting state that the network virus has been detected and blocked so the Internet security suite is doing it's job so we'll wait and see what the scan produces , or indeed doesn't.

I've done a bit of searching on the trend micro site and came up with this which has a lot of detail about the virus i think we are talking about.

My feelings are if the scan comes up clean then you have nothing to worry about other than finding a way to stop these constant alerts. If the alerts continue after all windows updates are installed , and you have run a scan and removed anything found , then maybe the best idea would be to get help from the experts in the hijackthis forum. Should you wish to do this please go to the hijack logs and analysis forum and follow the instructions in the post preperation guide for use before posting a hijackthis log .
The helpers there have more experience and knowledge than myself and will be able to help solve your problem.

#7 Infern0

Infern0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

Hello FifeFlyer,

Thank you for your help on this problem of mine. Well, I scanned my computer and it came up clean, I let my computer have a night of rest and I haven't had any troubles today with that virus. So, i'm a little happier today. I read the information you gave me about the virus too. Thanks for that, good to know what's trying to attack me. Anyways, thanks again for all your help Fife. If I have any more trouble, i'll be sure to post a HJT log. Take care!! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

No probs Infern0 , are you saying you are not getting the alert.............that's great. I would appreciate it very much if you could maybe get back to us in a couple of days to let us know how it's going. May be of help to others in the future. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users