Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Install Windows 7 searching for updates over 24 hours

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fooploop7

fooploop7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

I've done about 5 different clean installs this week and have attempted multiple fixes form other forums when it comes to searching for updates. The last install which I started yesterday at 7am pacific time is still going for over 24 hours, Once I registered the product key and activated windows it found a new update for the client and since then it's been searching. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

-Update

Service pack 1 is already installed from the cd version that I have. After I activated windows it prompted me to download and install a windows update agent which was windows update agent 7.6.7600.320 and since then it's been searching for updates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

Turn off Windows updates and reboot.

Install IE11 standalone.

Install .NET 4.61 standalone

Install September 2016 Servicing Stack

Install July 2016 Rollup

Reboot and then turn on Updates. Do a search.

#3 fooploop7

fooploop7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

I will attempt this when I get home from work. Thanks a bunch!

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hi:

EDIT: OOPS! We must have been posting at the same time... Yes, IE11 will help.  I'm not sure .NET 4.6.1 makes a difference, but it won't hurt.  The critical patch to fix WU client is 3172605.

-------------

If this is a fresh install of Windows 7, a manual install of the following three patches ought to get Windows Update client fixed, so that you can install the rest of the critical and important patches:

KB3125574

KB3020369

KB3172605

This procedure has worked well for me on 2 Win7 boxes, and it has helped quite a few folks here at bleeping and elsewhere.

(For an existing Windows 7 setup, you can skip 3125574)

Let's try this:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369, KB3125574 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (right click on it and then change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3125574 and reboot.
  6. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  7. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  8. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  9. Reconnect to internet.
  10. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  11. Run a manual check for updates.

WU should be working properly now.  If you are faced with a large load of available patches, do them in small bunches, starting with CRITICAL and IMPORTANT security updates.

Be very patient, reboot when prompted and do not use the computer for other tasks while updating.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".

WU must be disabled first.

If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.

Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 23 December 2016 - 08:20 PM.

#5 fooploop7

fooploop7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

and it's fine to perform these steps after windows installed update agent 7.6.7600.320? or should I do another complete restore? because as I mentioned in the other thread that you talked to me about I attempted by installing only kb3020369 and kb3172605 and that's when I had problems after updating.

Edited by fooploop7, 23 December 2016 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users