Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite M55-S135 Windows XP Computer Screen Problems + Weird Sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 k00k0

k00k0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

I recently got a Replacement AC Adapter for an old Toshiba Satellite computer, but when turned on, the computer indicated that it was connected to the AC, had power, and that its hard drive was running, while the screen was some kind of organized linear static. This organized linear static would be the only thing that would boot up onto the screen every time the computer was turned on, and the computer refused to boot up to anything but this organized linear static. There was also another barely audible noise that sounded like "Krt - krt - krt - krrrrrrrrrrrrt" that would repeat. I'm really confused; could someone please tell me what is the problem? (Apologies for the upside down image...)

post-1031202-0-28338100-1482538054.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by k00k0, 23 December 2016 - 07:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:20 PM

hemm anything worth saveing on that hdd ?

As well can you get in to the bios ?

#3 k00k0

k00k0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:24 PM

hemm anything worth saveing on that hdd ?

As well can you get in to the bios ?

BIOS is inaccessible; the laptop simply boots up to that screen.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

Krt - krt - krt - krrrrrrrrrrrrt sound

If that the hdd then i would say disconnect it and try and power the laptop up, if its not and the sound is coming from somewhere different like the mini speakers then i would say its time to replace parts as the laptop is toast, resetting the bios could help but i don't know how you would do that on your laptop, im guessing you have have to take the thing apart to do it.

#5 k00k0

k00k0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

If that the hdd then i would say disconnect it and try and power the laptop up, if its not and the sound is coming from somewhere different like the mini speakers then i would say its time to replace parts as the laptop is toast, resetting the bios could help but i don't know how you would do that on your laptop, im guessing you have have to take the thing apart to do it.

The sound does seem to be coming from the hard drive...

Is it possible to simply replace the hard drive? I have another computer whose hard drive is good,  but everything else is BS. 

Furthermore, is the hard drive causing the display problem? If not, then what?

Edited by k00k0, 23 December 2016 - 08:15 PM.

#6 k00k0

k00k0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

The sound does seem to be coming from the hard drive...

Is it possible to simply replace the hard drive? I have another computer whose hard drive is good,  but everything else is BS. 

Furthermore, is the hard drive causing the display problem? If not, then what?

Upon further pondering, that noise I was describing wasn't all that repetitive. The hard drive, when removed, seems to be the culprit of that very quiet but odd noise, but the screen problem remains.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:29 AM

The click click from the HDD is known as the click of death by some, when it happens it means the drive is 100% toast though im surprised the rest of the laptop not working too, and something should have happened when you powered it up with no HDD connected if it was locking up when it tried to scan the hdd.

Don't know what to say but replacement parts for old laptop just not worth it and probably not cost effective,best bet is just get a new/used laptop, i know my self i can get a basic work horse laptop for like $150. slap a copy of Linux in their and your good to go.

#8 k00k0

k00k0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

The click click from the HDD is known as the click of death by some, when it happens it means the drive is 100% toast though im surprised the rest of the laptop not working too, and something should have happened when you powered it up with no HDD connected if it was locking up when it tried to scan the hdd.

Don't know what to say but replacement parts for old laptop just not worth it and probably not cost effective,best bet is just get a new/used laptop, i know my self i can get a basic work horse laptop for like $150. slap a copy of Linux in their and your good to go.

Everything was actually fine, after all. I simply connected the Toshiba (with its noisy hard drive) to an external monitor and managed to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server Edition on it. Thank you for your help, though!

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

Good call, why didn't i think of that lol, not mouch of a laptop though if it has a broken screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users