Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely weird issue.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zacoru2

Zacoru2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

Recently, I've experienced some weird quirks on my windows 10 machine:

• Inability to transfer files from one folder to another (Transfer dialog appears, progress bar does not move) Note: Copying and pasting works, but takes a couple seconds(Even for files > 1kb)
  • Inability to rename folders on the desktop (Can type out new name, but windows explorer crashes when attempting to submit the new name)
  • Inability to install certain drivers and files (I've had a few msi files just hang and crash)
  • Launching Microsoft products and Windows programs sometimes don't load for a period of time(Can click them and the processes start, but the UI doesn't appear on screen for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour).

On a less annoying note:

• Groove Music refuses to load correctly (Results in time-bar being incorrect/not loading)
  • File Selection Dialogs sometimes don't load.
  • Photos app slow to open, and when it does opens the wrong photo.

My System specs:

Intel i7 4790K @ 4.2 Ghz

16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1866Mhz

ASUS Sabertooth z97 Mark 2 Motherboard

Nvidia GTX 1070

750 Watt Power Supply (80+ Bronze)

2 TB WD Black Hard Drive (New) @ 7200 RPM

Windows 10 Educational Edition

Got the Hard Drive within the last month, and put the operating system on it.

It seems like the operating itself is corrupted or slow, but I've never seen anything like this before.

Feel free to ask for any more info. I'm happy to accept any new information

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:07 PM

And what anti-virus like apps did you use to check out the computer ?

I see your overclocking as well, heat levels are what under full load ? voltages good ?

You do burn in testing ?

Cpu heat sink is what ?

You know if you get the overclock wrong and your system isn't stable it will eat the windows install and possably all data on the hdd.

#3 Zacoru2

Zacoru2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:42 PM

In response to Shadow_647's questions:

Antivirus: I used Avast and it found nothing.

CPU: My motherboard did some automatic overclocking, I assume it knows how to do it better than I do. My maximum temperatures range from 46-54 Degrees Celsius. Voltages are alright.

I have not done any burn-in testing.

CPU Heat sink is the stock heat sink. 

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

K If your computer starts acting odd and only if and when that happens i go my self in to AV mode just to make shore nothing going on, but i dont suspect that at this time.

As for auto overclocking anything, that like the worse thing anyone can ever do to a computer, i would recommend you learn how to do it the right way if going their, my self iv bin doing the overclock topic since 486 66mgz computer, i can show you how to do it safely if you want when the time is right but were not here for that atm so i would have to you leave things for testing as is and depending what happens put it back on default settings if the heat level doesn't work out.

And overclock + stock heat sink is a bad idea i know the store heat sink that come with Intel cpus and they suck hard if their still using the same ones as they all ways have.

K TDP is 88 max temp for your cpu is 72c

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4790K.html

Download the following and run both at the same time, watch your load temps when you run the cpu tester, stop test if you hit 65c fast.

If you can keep temps under 65c under load keep runing test for at lest 15 min.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

46-54 Degrees Celsius. Voltages are alright.

If this is your idle temps that's not good, temps will spike like mad under stress testing, sometimes +30c meaning 55+30 = 85c

Edited by shadow_647, 23 December 2016 - 06:02 PM.

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

1. There is no doubt, that the OS is corrupt (damaged)
  2. How many partitions you have, or all of the 2TB is one and have not no partitions? If so, then this is a very much. Make for OS partition not larger than 500GB (even this is a bit much).

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

Agreed kal, better would be a 100% dedicated Os drive, i know my self i can get 160gig hdd for like $10, min partition for the Os, if your a performance nut then go 128gig ssd or something.

Really id turn the auto overclock off, just going to brake things going their.

#7 Zacoru2

Zacoru2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

1. There is no doubt, that the OS is corrupt (damaged)
  2. How many partitions you have, or all of the 2TB is one and have not no partitions? If so, then this is a very much. Make for OS partition not larger than 500GB (even this is a bit much).

Just 1 Partition. I'll keep that in mind while I reformat it.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:14 AM

K well ill asume it was overlocking foolishly with apps vs doing it the right way and heat, stock heat sinks are useless from intel and that you max temps were in the 85~90c zone.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Where did you get the installation media to install Windows 10?

If you can open the Command Prompt you should run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users