Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A future competitor to Puppy?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

I think it will take a long time to get where Puppy is at.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac/

PIXEL represents our best guess as to what the majority of users are looking for in a desktop environment: a clean, modern user interface; a curated suite of productivity software and programming tools, both free and proprietary; and the Chromium web browser with useful plugins, including Adobe Flash, preinstalled. And all of this is built on top of Debian, providing instant access to thousands of free applications.

Put simply, it’s the GNU/Linux we would want to use.

Because we’re using the venerable i386 architecture variant it should run even on vintage machines like my ThinkPad X40, provided they have at least 512MB of RAM.

Remember that this is a prototype rather then a final release version. Due to the wide variety of PC and Mac hardware out there, there are likely to be minor issues on some hardware configurations. If we decide that this is something we want to commit to in the long run, we will do our best to address these as they come up. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

The iso is 1.3 GiB, not a chance it will compete with Puppy,

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

The iso is 1.3 GiB, not a chance it will compete with Puppy,

Agreed.

How can 1300 MB compare with 200? And at that, Pup contains around 190 built-in applications. Alright, so most of them are fairly minimal, I admit; but for that 200 MB download, Pup is fully functional, OOTB.  :thumbup2:

There aren't many can compare with that....even now. And the 'frugal' install is kinda unique, no? Especially with its easy back-up options.

Never a truer word spoken. In whose opinion is it a competitor to Puppy, anyway?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 December 2016 - 05:55 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

IMO you would be better off installing Puppy to the Pi

#5 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:03 AM

Well, that's marketing hype.  They seem to go the M$ route, newer is *always* better.

IMO you would be better off installing Puppy to the Pi

What a mess that would do... Better do this on the kitchen floor to be safe and easier to clean.  LOL!!!

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

Never a truer word spoken. In whose opinion is it a competitor to Puppy, anyway?

Mike, I believe the one who wrote the article, Eben Upton himself! :P

By chance is also which one of Raspberry PI original founder(s) & still plays some role there, if sources are up to date. Pics on both his site & Wikimedia look to be the same person.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Upton

Anyway, give me a good old FatDog64 Linux (for 64 bit computers only) & I'll usually be booting a 'dead' computer within 30 seconds. That is, unless there's MB issues present (hasn't happened yet), I cannot & won't attempt a DIY on this repair, and will only replace those of my own & for no one else, for obvious reasons, the amount of work involved. 

While the latest FatDog64 version 710 now weighs in at 365MB, I still use the older version that's only 257MB (FatDog64 700) & really serves the same purpose, to test any 64 bit computer for basic function. If by chance the person needs to check their email or perform a transaction prior to before repair, I then recommend downloading the latest for a more recent browser & will usually have this with me, for their & my convenience, will allow the person to open an incognito (private browsing mode that deletes all upon browser close) on my computer. 

As far as Eben Upton & his Raspberry PI goes, he may run the OS that best suits the needs of himself & Raspberry Pi & I'll let it go at that, to each their own. :)

So do I, his chances are next to nil at doing any better & still would have to prove to the World that any replacement that's smaller is as effective, then would be in an uphill battle to make it popular. :)

Long time Puppy users aren't going to switch overnight no more than I'm going to leap from Linux Mint to another distro after running for what'll soon be 8 years & has served my needs well. So much that to this day, I still use the default wallpaper for my desktop from their legacy themepack that was my first. :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:16 AM

Well, that's marketing hype.  They seem to go the M$ route, newer is *always* better.

You are talking about Microsoft, I presume. The same Microsoft that has tried to slide in the ReFS filesystem on at least one of my W10 OS's w/out my explicit consent. After the original install was NTFS. and had I not been checking to see if TRIM is working, would had found it possibly too late. ReFS is not recommended for consumer OS installs, rather those that are acting as servers running 24/7 & not shutdown often, in that situation, one has better protection over their data. On a system ran for a few hours then shut down, the chance of data corruption increases & why it's not advised for Home & the same users with the Pro OS (many has Pro for bragging rights only, or for Bitlocker). :)

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/443417-ntfs-or-refs

Had to download a registry script to fix & hopefully remove ReFS, and if I have to reinstall my OS to fix this, since the computer it's on is a former business/corporate model, will pull the same stunt as many & sue Microsoft for 'hush money', all I have to say is that they've cost me money with their crappy filesystem. One lady got $20,000 (after attorney payout) for damages. They're not supposed to be beta testing new (or possible replacement software, including filesystems) on our computers unless a member of the Windows Insider Program. These idiotic moves are not risk free, yet Microsoft is content on handing out 10K here & 20K there when caught, I'll take either sum. :P

Same goes for Btrfs for Linux, while it's been in use for years, will pound a SSD to death with writes & I was advised here not to use it after asking, it's not going to be the replacement for ext4 (for Home users), no matter how many 'journalists' says it is. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:59 AM

After reading your post cat i decided to do some research on the topic of M$ new hdd file system and its not doing anything for me, seems like they just want to setup a new DRM file system that only they get to decide who can use and how, but ReFS douse nothing for me, really i still like fat32 even if their is a 4gig file limit on file size, kind of like exFAT in a way too.

As for linux well im a mint user too for my laptop, grate Os, good thing about linux is theirs so many different flavors out their and not everyone likes the same thing, wish M$ would get a clue on this topic from linux and not keep pumping out the one size fits all Os deal and if you dont like it too bad.

Linux owns so hard over all and so many distros, just wish their were more that were dedicated to pure computer defense.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

You are talking about Microsoft, I presume. The same Microsoft that has tried to slide in the ReFS filesystem on at least one of my W10 OS's w/out my explicit consent.

Just WOW is all I can say. I have never heard any of this before. Is it widespread? Just confirms my decision never to install Windows 10. 

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:54 AM

JohnC, since I don't follow the Windows 10 forum, though intend on asking the question there, I don't know yet how widespread this is at the time, if it shipped with the latest version, or anything other than I found an answer that allows to check TRIM on ReFS. Yet go to the bottom of this page & note all 10 NTFS features offered that ReFS doesn't. 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2013/01/01/windows-server-2012-does-refs-replace-ntfs-when-should-i-use-it/

For now, the 2nd set of commands was how I was able to enable TRIM support for ReFS in W10.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40028-trim-support-solid-state-drives-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

I may just roll that PC (Dell Optiplex 780 Desktop Edition) back to W7 until EOL with the last backup image taken (after a secure erase of the SSD) & then install the current Linux Mint LTS on it, don't care for these experimental file systems, and the SSD is a Samsung 840 Pro, back when these were more expensive than now & with half the warranty support (5 years) over the 850 Pro, which I'm running on this very PC. 

cat@cat-ASRockZ97Extreme6 ~ $ inxi -Fxz

System:    Host: cat-ASRockZ97Extreme6 Kernel: 4.4.0-57-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.14.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: Z97 Extreme6
           Bios: American Megatrends v: P2.50 date: 10/06/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4770 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 27191
           clock speeds: max: 3401 MHz 1: 3401 MHz 2: 3401 MHz 3: 3401 MHz
           4: 3401 MHz 5: 3401 MHz 6: 3401 MHz 7: 3401 MHz 8: 3401 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Card-2 NVIDIA Device 0fba driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-3 Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-57-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1512.3GB (1.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 512.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5003ABYX size: 500.1GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD5003ABYX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 40G used: 8.2G (22%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: /home size: 296G used: 8.1G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 0.54GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 34.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:26C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 274 Uptime: 1:09 Memory: 2747.3/32057.2MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35 
cat@cat-ASRockZ97Extreme6 ~ $ 

I'll deal with the rest of my W10 installs one at a time when I boot into these, if the ReFS is on there, will roll back to the previous OS. The folks at Microsoft are pure idiotic, here they are losing customers, have for the first time in at least 15 years dropping below 90% usershare, and here comes along an unproven leader that doesn't know jack crap, yet putting his hands on everything (to include purchasing a top seat with the Linux Foundation). Until he was named as successor to Steve Ballmer, only those at Microsoft knew of Satya Nadella. The raw numbers suggests that Steve Ballmer was a better leader, and at least Linux users knew where he stood, Ballmer never retracted his statement & stood his ground. Nadella seems to be hopping on the latest trend of the moment, and thankfully so for Linux users, as we've made huge gains since he's been at the helm of Microsoft & it's only just begun. 

Come EOL for W7 (still by far Microsoft's most popular OS), many will have a decision to make. I suspect that a fair share will defect to Linux & Mac, because they could have had W10 for free & refused acceptance. In fact, there's still a back door open for those that needs 'assistive technologies' to upgrade, and it even says on the bottom of the page in fine print that the need for these technologies are not required. :P

Under the 3rd FAQ's asked:

We are not restricting the free upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the free upgrade offer.

It's a desperation move on the part of Microsoft, for best experience, one needs to use IE for the download, if desired. Link didn't work with Google Chrome for me.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Yet what good is this if they're going to screw their customers over time & time again? 

While I'm not a Puppy Linux expert, would rather learn it than run W10 as my daily OS, if Linux Mint were to fold, though feel that I'm safe for a while, when the founder walks away, someone hand picked by him will take over. Still, I use FatDog64 to diagnose computers, because it loads very fast & can diagnose 64 bit hardware in a matter of minutes. :)

Faster than any OS that I've ever ran, even on slow or low spec hardware, as long as it's 64 bit. :thumbsup:

Cat

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:11 AM

30b37fa.gif

This has NOTHING to do with windows.

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:45 AM

Kiddiwinks, I agree with Nick on this one. I concur that discussion of M$'s tactics with their new file-system in Win 10 is worth following up, but.....a new topic,please?

And Cat, you really ought to know better by now, mate..! You've been here a hell of a lot longer than I have. Sorry & all that...

(No, I ain't 'brown-nosing'.....but I have already seen for myself just how quickly topics go sideways on here.....and y'all know by now that Puppy is a subject dear to my heart.)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 26 December 2016 - 05:45 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:10 AM

You're both right, I apologize for getting carried away & should had known better, got caught into responding to another member. :)

However, I do use Puppy Fatdog64 to diagnose 64 bit computers, being that's most of what I see now, can thoroughly test a 64 bit computer running any OS in minutes, as long as the MB & CPU is not shot. Have identified bad RAM by doing so, in this case, Fatdog64 will shut down until working modules are installed, and that usually fixes the person's computer until they can purchase their own set (I only loan mine to those I know well). For those I don't know well, with their approval & cash upfront, will order the proper RAM for their computer. If they do that, then I'll let them use my low spec memory modules, am not going to test with my best ones, may be mixed sets, or a matched set of low spec (around 2GB total). If they can't get by with 2GB RAM, they'll have to order or purchase their own locally (their choice). 

I've also used Fatdog64 to make secure transactions from a finalized CD, and have never had issues, though this requires the latest on many sites, which now weighs in at over 360MB. :)

Still that's very lightweight, I don't know of any other (current) Linux OS of that size or will fit onto a CD, most requires a DVD. 

Cat

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:07 AM

Ah, you're OK, Cat. Don't take me too seriously.....

I've been as guilty of the same thing myself, on many occasions; and I've been on that many forums & bulletin boards over the years (yes, I do date back that far!).....and every single one has a different interpretation of the rules.

I know there's many swear by FatDog.....but I've just somehow, never quite been able to get into it, for some reason. I've tried a few times, too..! I've found I get on a lot better with the two current, 64-bit 'flagship' Pups.....Tahrpup64 and Slacko64.

That's the beauty of Pup; there's so many spins on it that with experimentation almost anybody can find something to their liking.

Anyroad, that's enough for today.

Merry Xmas, y'all!!!

Mike.  :wink:  :thumbup2:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 25 December 2016 - 06:58 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

This certainly is an interesting and educational thread. Keep up the good work.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users