Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

user password stopped working

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mejim

mejim

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

My laptop won't accept my password to enter computer at startup.

Not only that, the "hint" is also missing. I do know the last password I used but the laptop refuses to recognize it. I must have tried every password I've used over the last few years........my pinkie is tired. I've tried suggestions like "NTPASSWD" but that doesn't do it either.

Because of the above, I cannot even enter "safemode" to access the user profile and do something about this.

The laptop does ask that I "insert" the rescue disk or USB to unlock it. I don't have any type of rescue disk as I bought this laptop second hand off of ebay. I don't know what to even suspect anymore as the reason and am asking for your help.

Here is a description: 

1. HP pavillion laptop
  2. Came with Windows 8. I installed free windows 10 upgrade (it seemed to work great)
  4. I press power button
  5. Laptop turns on and proceeds to my user name and prompts me to enter a password.
  6. I follow instructions and laptop reports "The password is incorrect. Try again"
  7. I repeat with the same results

I don't use this laptop very often. The last time I used it I downloaded some itunes music but I haven't use it much since. I am at a loss on what to  do next since I can't get past the login page to access by browser. I can't access safemode or anything really. 

Any ideas?

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

only way is to use a bootable disk/usb drive like Hiren's to unlock it,

you can make one yourself by downloading Hirens ISO and make a bootable device using Rufus

Edited by mikey11, 23 December 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

NTpasword should have been able to enable the Hidden Administrator Account. 

http://www.wintips.org/enable-administrator-account-or-reset-admin-account-password-windows-8-windows-7-or-windows-vista/

There is a later version here than what is shown in the guide. Burn the iso to a CD. For an HP you can tap Esc at boot and then select F9 for a boot menu. Select Legacy Boot. This allows you to boot a Legacy disk without disabling SecureBoot.

Video

Once logged into the Administrator Account you can reset the password of your account.

Note: If you still cannot enable the Hidden Administrator Account using NT offlice registry fix you can do it with a Windows 10 install disk by editing the registry offline.

I will post instructions using an install disk if you are not successful with the offline registry tool.

Edit Edit: Was this a local password for Windows 10 or did you use an email account for logging in.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

There is nothing to unlock. This computer is completely violated or damaged, don't even know what is the better word to use. I see every day similar stuations.
If You also cannot login using Adminitrator account and then something to repair, is only one golden way. It is clean install (not refresh Windows).
But all this is repeated again soon, if the owner does not take care.

Edited by kaljukass, 23 December 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#5 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

JohnC_21,

"Was this a local password for Windows 10 or did you use an email account for logging in".

No it was local I think is what you call it. It doesn't have to do with windows 10 or my email passwords. It has to do with logging in to my computer when I first turn it on. 

*also, is "NTpasword" what you meant to type or is this a typo? I'm not near my laptop right now to try it. Just wondering if I used the wrong password.

Edited by mejim, 23 December 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:54 PM

This sounds like a power on password, either BIOS or Hard Disk password. Some BIOS passwords can be reset using certain techniques but if this is a hard drive password you hare out of luck. You would need a new hard drive as a drive with password protection cannot be formatted.

For a BIOS password contact HP and if you can prove you are the owner they may give you a master password. Other than that BC cannot help any further you will need to google your model number and BIOS password reset to get any results.

Does the computer throw a code if you input the wrong password three times or does it simply shut down?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2016 - 07:56 PM.

#7 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

JohnC_21,

I can get into bios. I did remove that password that I set by mistake trying to figure out what was happening. I just can't access my user account which is the first thing that pops up after you power up the laptop. When I power up the laptop it shows a screen with a picture. I click on the image then my first name pops up and it tells me to enter my password. I do, then it rejects me and tells me I used a incorrect password.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Okay, they you should be able to boot the disk I linked to and enable the hidden Administrator Account. See the video I linked to. What problem did you have with the utility. You will not be resetting the password, only enabling the hidden Administrator account.

#9 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:35 PM

I downloaded to a CD disk. I also downloaded to a USB drive. Neither one will open a administrator account. I did link from the newer version link.

Here's what I did:

At powerup, I started pushing esc button and was able to F9 where it asks you to chose your option. I've tried both the CD and the USB but am having no luck. The password page blocks me from further progress. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

How did you burn the iso file to disk. Did you right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image? For a USB flash drive you can use Rufus and the iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the offline registry iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

cd140201.zip

The above will have an iso file in the zip file. If you have the iso file there is no need to download it again.

Attach the flash drive after using Rufus. Boot the computer while tapping F9 and select Legacy boot device.

#11 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

Okay, I think I did it wrong so I will try this again. I do have the image file downloaded now. Cool.

The first time I downloaded the zip file and then nothing happened. :-\ I will report back.

#12 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:01 AM

Okay. I got it downloaded properly.

I started up the hp laptop and pushed esc when prompted. I pushed F9. I selected the Internal CD/DVD Drive. I followed the video instructions. I got to where it says "choose user option" I saw where I was to select and I must have pushed the wrong key or something because I can't get that part (user) to show up again. 

I don't know what I did wrong and don't even know what to say to help myself.

Jim

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

Since this is Windows 10, your log in for the little HP PC is your Microsoft password. The easy way to fix your issue is to call Microsoft.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:01 AM

Since this is Windows 10, your log in for the little HP PC is your Microsoft password. The easy way to fix your issue is to call Microsoft.

Not needed, if You uses Microsoft account, simply open it and click "Forgot my password" and You will be redirected to site, where You can set up new password. If it is done, You can login with it also in Windows 10 (also works on  8 - 8.1).

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:20 AM

I don't believe the OP has a Windows Live account log in but I may be wrong. @mejim, do you sign in with a Microsoft account?

If you remove the disk do you still boot to the login page?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users