Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC Scannow Unable to fix corrupted files

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bramznet

bramznet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

I am having issues with my laptop being very slow and unresponsive. I have tried everything that everything I can think of that  normally fixes these issues.  Did notice that when I run sfc /scannow I am getting an error stating that it is unable to fix corrupted system files, I tried to run this many times even via the recovery console with he same issue. I posting the cbs log file hoping that you guys are able to help me with this issue.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.txt   1.41MB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

Do not want you to grieve but with each passing day Windows will go worse until one day no longer works nothing.
And there is not any method to improve, only the new installing helps..
So, you know itself, will waste the time or not.
Any Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth or Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth etc will never help You.
Reason is simple, You have made changes, installed updates etc, online is clean base system.
The only thing that can possibly helps is  the Windows backup, when it worked correctly. But usually even it will not help. 

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

Agreed KAL but most around here it seem most want to bang their head against the wall trying to save messed up installs, whereas i can do a zero bit purge format and full rebuild or windows with a hdd image in under 60 min if and when needed with a 100% clean install guaranteed every time.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

Agreed KAL but most around here it seem most want to bang their head against the wall trying to save messed up installs, whereas i can do a zero bit purge format and full rebuild or windows with a hdd image in under 60 min if and when needed with a 100% clean install guaranteed every time.

Thats why here at Bleeping we assist those in need of a Diagnose first to see what the issues are.

Yes they can take time , but its the best approach to start with when dealing with Novices and they can understand the methods used a little better.

And this is all done for free , with Experts assisting in that , and their free time to do so.

I would hate for someone/anyone to give advice to just Format or reinstall OS , and then the Poster says all went well ...but what about all my files / settings etc ....they are all gone ?.......then the person giving advice does a runner or says i cant help you any further or wont spend the time to now fix that issue.

So a Process or Procedure is the best method for novices to follow with guidance from the Experts here at BC / if all that fails then Backup / Reinstall as last resort.

Side Note : A 100% Clean Install - Or an Image are not what i call the same.

A full install takes 40 min or less , then you have Updates / AV / Settings etc etc more time.

An Image can be restored in 10 Min.

Edited by Havachat, 23 December 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#6 bramznet

bramznet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:25 AM

I think I give up on trying on this laptop.... I am going to wipe and reinstall

Edited by bramznet, 24 December 2016 - 03:58 AM.

#7 bramznet

bramznet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:05 AM

It has decided to lock up on the minitoolbox twice.

AVG just self installed never even heard of a av self installing when it never was on the laptop in the first place....

unless anyone has ideas for me to try as of the 26th I am going to have to spend the time and effort in fresh re-install of os / software

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:34 AM

AVG self installing O_o i don't know what to say their, though some software sometimes come with other junk with it when you install.

ya get the following tools before doing a full rebuild and burn to cd/dvd as well as backup data that you want to save before a purge, if you don't have a external hdd you can get setup on that topic for like $100 dalliers and its a good investment in any case if you care about what you have on your computer, never know when the thing will bomb and if you have no backups you lose all and i know what that feels like, i got hit with a super virus once that killed off 30 hdds worth of data on all my computers, like a fool i had all my computer networked as one at the time so the super virus killed everything.

As well when setting up a new install make shore the first thing you do is get a aggressive anti-virus in thier just to be save before touching backups.

https://linuxmint.com/

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

As well for a 100% virus nuke of the drive you should zero bit format the thing, don't do this though if its a ssd, different setup for that topic.

and last but not lest is your computer a desktop and if so have you done stress testing of the computer hardware, depending why windows bombed the problem might come back depending why it happened in the first place.

not being able to run programs and the computer acting unstable is making me wonder whats going on.

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

Perhaps your sfc issue is caused by KB3068708, I see it mentioned in the cbs log.

See here

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581321/updates-kb3022345-kb3068708-breaks-clean-sfc-scannow/

Edited by opera, 24 December 2016 - 10:19 AM.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

Can you use System Restore to get things working a little better?  Then you can run some Diagnostic and Cleaning Tools.  There are folks here than can assist you in the Malware Section if you are Infected and Replace the Damaged or Missing Files.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-use-windows-system-restore-in-windows-7/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

Do not want you to grieve but with each passing day Windows will go worse until one day no longer works nothing.
And there is not any method to improve, only the new installing helps..
So, you know itself, will waste the time or not.
Any Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth or Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth etc will never help You.
Reason is simple, You have made changes, installed updates etc, online is clean base system.
The only thing that can possibly helps is  the Windows backup, when it worked correctly. But usually even it will not help.

This is not really correct,if Windows is set up and maintained properly there is no reason for constant problems assuming the hardware is ok.

Ive had this system up and running for over 2 years with no glitches  at all,its highly customized and hacked but it never has a problem with scannow checkdisk or anything else,still runs fast and efficiently,its just a case of seting up right in the first place

and decent maintenance.

If you use this site properly,theres enough information and knowledge base to admin your system without to many problems.

To the op..it may be time for a re install to save further hassle..also would be worth checking out your hardrive just to make sure thats not an issue..would be a shame to install on a failing drive and have to do it all again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users