Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nix To tower.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:21 PM

Hello all, I was thinking about switching to Linux on my tower (my laptop is already pure linux) Just a few questions on games.

I know rift works with wine, and so does SW:TOR, WoW, Half-Life.

but a game called Paladins im not sure will work. the other programs i have, have linux installs too.

If you need my hardware list (im on Win10 atm) let me know. i do have 2 video cards in there and a USB Wi-Fi adapter that needs to run an exe to connect. will that work in nix?

last question.

LM18 or PepperMintOS7?.

Peppermint seemed to run Rift better than LM18 did (on my laptop)

EDIT: I took 6 GB of ram out now i have 14GB RAM

Here's Speccy. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/84kHphSjP6e2TyOhRYhUSK8

EDIT 2: the usb wifi adapter(Actiontec 802AIN2) does NOT work, and i cannot find the .inf file for it for ndiswrapper

Edited by Viper_Security, 23 December 2016 - 06:13 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hiya, Viper.

Mm. WINE's kind of a personal choice, I gotta confess. There's folks on here who wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, convinced it's a security black hole. Me, I never understand that point of view; it's running behind a Linux firewall, so unless you're doing summat daft like running a Windows browser under WINE (hence, communicating through the firewall.....and asking for trouble), I can't see there's an issue.

(Having said which, I have, for the last few weeks, been running the K-Meleon browser under WINE in Precise 571.....and I've had no issues. At all.)

As to which OS...hmm. I'm possibly peculiar here, but I get a kind of atavistic kick out of running very minimal OSs on a relatively powerful machine. I don't see the need to load it down with a powerful OS, just because it will handle it. With a minimal one, it leaves ya more in the way of resources. And if Peppermint works better for what you want, well......

Your choice, of course. And I think we've established that I'm not exactly your 'typical' Linux user..! Running Pup tends to mark you out as a wee bit of an oddball, in any case.....   :lol:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 December 2016 - 06:21 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hi Viper - I Googled up "paladins game linux" and "paladins game install on linux" and found some interesting sites and a couple of youtube videos.

Some say install Steam via PlayOnLinux and others do without the Steam.

Two sites of interest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Paladins/comments/54cslt/linux_version_please/

and that linked to this

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33628

I'll leave it to you to see if useful or not, beyond my current paygrade.

:wizardball: Wiz - Good Luck!

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,373 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:58 AM

nCD7Xbs.png

:hysterical:

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

Droll, Nick, but funny

:wizardball:

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

EDIT 2: the usb wifi adapter(Actiontec 802AIN2) does NOT work, and i cannot find the .inf file for it for ndiswrapper

The "ath9k_htc" driver might support your device.

Probable Linux driver ath9k_htc

-REF:https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Actiontec_802AIN2

firmware-atheros

-REF:https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc

AR7010 USB-PCIe bridge with AR928x wireless chips

-REF:https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k_htc

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:08 PM

Not sure what NickAu posted. but I'll wait till i can grab a PCI/PCI-e card from my shop.  then i'll be good to go.

The wireless card (actiontec) needs an exe to run and PMOS7 can't run it, without wine, and can't get that if no internet. (no ether available atm) haha. Ndis wrapper, is a no go as well.

I have no problem waiting for a card.

hQBT2G3.png

#8 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:46 AM

The wireless card (actiontec) needs an exe to run and PMOS7 can't run it, without wine, and can't get that if no internet.

Stop wineing!  (Sorry!  Had to say it! lol!!!)

Viper, there should exist a way to install wine without a network, either with the wine package transfered to your pc (maybe via USB) or the wine source code tarball.  I'm on BSD, can't help you in this case, but Google provided me answers for that install issue for my OS.

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

The wireless card (actiontec) needs an exe to run and PMOS7 can't run it, without wine, and can't get that if no internet.

Stop wineing!  (Sorry!  Had to say it! lol!!!)

Viper, there should exist a way to install wine without a network, either with the wine package transfered to your pc (maybe via USB) or the wine source code tarball.  I'm on BSD, can't help you in this case, but Google provided me answers for that install issue for my OS.

i tired it had "missing dependencies" i'll just wait to bet a blutooth/wifi card in one. 

im not too worried about it.

but will replicate to make it work eventually!

hQBT2G3.png

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:48 AM

i tired it had "missing dependencies" i'll just wait to bet a blutooth/wifi card in one. 

Viper, here's the one that I have, and didn't break the bank. Has a Intel 7260 AC wireless card inside, and you'll need a spare USB header for BT 4.0. Also has Intel Wireless Display (or WiDi). :thumbup2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320293

If by chance you don't have an extra USB header in your PC, here's one, I ordered it, though never had to use, who knows, may be needed at some point, I like to keep spare components. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997024

The cool thing is that it adds twin USB ports inside of your case, good when performing a clean install & updating drivers from a USB stick, or flashing the BIOS (some allows for backup before flashing as a safety feature), and updating MB drivers. Can also be used with a large USB stick for fast, extra storage. :thumbsup:

The 3 egg reviews, my take on that is that they didn't know what they were doing or not using the right drivers for their OS (it's a large download from ASUS). Mine is working perfectly in Linux Mint 18 & I'm sitting here with a noticeable BT icon on the right panel, to the left of volume control. Does what I need to do & will review the card in another 2-3 months, don't care to leave a review as soon as installed. My PC has both W10 Pro & LM 18 64 bit, and didn't have to install any extra drivers for it to work with Linux Mint 18 (though did override the native W10 drivers with those supplied by ASUS for that OS). :)

Considered the higher rated model (AC1300), was double the price & no BT. I don't see myself saturating AC1200 speeds (1200Mbps), nor the speed of the 2.4GHz band, should future proof me for some time to come. I would order another for this AMD build, however I don't know how the Intel card would play with the system, probably will be better off with a Ralink or Qualcomm card on that PC. 

Anyway, this is a good card at a good price, if I have any negatives, it would be the the cable for the external antenna is about 3 feet too short. Which would be needed if say, were using a hotspot from the home, maybe there's an antenna with a longer cable that world work, or a set of extender cables (though this may degrade signal by adding the extra connector). The best option would be a one piece longer antenna if needed. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 27 December 2016 - 03:59 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users