Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are These Startup Services Necessary?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Toto_Too

Toto_Too

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

I have attached an image of the Startup Services found by CCleaner on my Windows XP computer.

Are those Microsoft Corporation and Intel Corporation services necessary for proper computer / Operating System operation?  Or can I disable them?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

The Intel ones are related to the Intel GPU drivers. You can disable what they do in the control panel, no need to disable them at the registry. I think the Microsoft one is a part of MS Office. No threat, and little to no impact on boot time.

#3 Toto_Too

Toto_Too
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Under which icon would I check those Intel ones out in the Control Panel to see what they do?

If those Intel ones also have little to no impact on boot time and general operation, I can leave them be as well.

Edited by Toto_Too, 23 December 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

Here's some information from our very own Startup Programs Database:

persistence - IGFXPERS.EXE

Associated with the Common User Interface module for Intel graphics cards

igfxtray - IGFXTRAY.EXE

Quick access to the control panel via a System Tray icon for graphics based upon the Intel chipsets (ie, i810). These chipsets are often included on motherboards. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel

HotKeyCmds- hkcmd.exe

Installed by the Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. If you want the Ctrl+Alt+F12 or similar keypresses to access Intel's customised graphics properties, you need it, otherwise not. Can be disabled via Control Panel -> Display Properties

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

#6 Toto_Too

Toto_Too
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

Sounds like something that I'd better leave well enough alone.  Not having the Windows Reinstall CD for this computer, I'd be up a creek if I FUBARed things by needlessly getting a little too curious.

Thanks for the info and for the speedy responses, Gorbulan ... bwv848.   :thumbup2:

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

You're welcome!

#8 yankeelady2015

yankeelady2015

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

I have attached an image of the Startup Services found by CCleaner on my Windows XP computer.

Are those Microsoft Corporation and Intel Corporation services necessary for proper computer / Operating System operation?  Or can I disable them?

You do realize with your Win XP, you will not get MS updates?  In your start up service program, why did you disable Malwarebytes?  This program is great in going after malware, PUA's, and protecting you from malicious websites.

#9 Toto_Too

Toto_Too
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:35 PM

Yes, I am very much aware that Windows XP is no longer supported and thus gets no MS updates.

And yes, I am very much aware that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is great.  I DO use it ... On Demand.  I have the Free version.  What I actually disabled there is not the program itself, but rather this process called Malwarebytes Business Messaging or something along those lines.  I don't know what the heck it does or what it's for, but it kept annoying me to see that once I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, that process would then be active even after rebooting or even after power down and power back up.  I forget how much Mem Usage it registered once it was active, but I recall that it was more than just something trivial.

Do you by any chance know what that Malwarebytes Business Messaging is for, what it does?  My logic for disabling it was that considering that I only have the FREE On Demand version ... that Malwarebytes Business Messaging process cannot possibly have any justifiable reason for being active ALL the time since I don't have the Pro Real Time version.

Edited by Toto_Too, 28 December 2016 - 09:39 PM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:53 PM

Could it be related to this? :)

Why am I receiving a message about Business Licensing after running a scan?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#11 yankeelady2015

yankeelady2015

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

Yes, I am very much aware that Windows XP is no longer supported and thus gets no MS updates.

And yes, I am very much aware that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is great.  I DO use it ... On Demand.  I have the Free version.  What I actually disabled there is not the program itself, but rather this process called Malwarebytes Business Messaging or something along those lines.  I don't know what the heck it does or what it's for, but it kept annoying me to see that once I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, that process would then be active even after rebooting or even after power down and power back up.  I forget how much Mem Usage it registered once it was active, but I recall that it was more than just something trivial.

Do you by any chance know what that Malwarebytes Business Messaging is for, what it does?  My logic for disabling it was that considering that I only have the FREE On Demand version ... that Malwarebytes Business Messaging process cannot possibly have any justifiable reason for being active ALL the time since I don't have the Pro Real Time version.

First of all when you download something "free" you also have to look to see if there are any other boxes checked that you need to "unchecked".    Those other programs that download with the "free" programs are considered "crap-where" otherwise known as PUA (Potential Unwanted Application).  These PUA's are not harmful to your PC, they are just annoying at least.

I have the paid version of Malwarebytes which leads me to believe that you downloaded the free version of Malwareware Business Messaging.  If you don't need it taking up space on your hard drive, I would delete it by searching programs and features.

Hope this helps.

Julie   :)

#12 Toto_Too

Toto_Too
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

bwv848 ... what I am referring to is not a message, a popup or a warning of any kind and it's not about Business Licensing.  What I am referring to is simply a process that I can see existing in the Task Manager about Business Messaging.  I'm using my MBAM in a home environment.  So I'm all legal and stuff.  No business environment here. :thumbup2:

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

OK, I understand. If it is truly related to Malwarebytes, the place that will have the answer is Malwarebytes Forums.

Good luck and Happy New Year! :)

Edited by bwv848, 29 December 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#14 Toto_Too

Toto_Too
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

Julie ... I've always been pretty meticulous about reading the text / info in all the various windows that pop up during app installs and opting out of anything that is unnecessary.  I don't recall any prompt for a Business Messaging option during my install of MBAM.  I might reinstall it today just out of curiosity to see if somehow a prompt for Business Messaging was cleverly hidden away in some nook or cranny and I missed it.

I'm not seeing anywhere on the MBAM GUI where I can disable the Business Messaging.  And my Uninstaller Apps aren't indicating any separate MBAM Business Messaging sub-program.  They just indicate the existence of the main MBAM program.  It's probably something that cannot be neutralized unless one has the paid version.

Then again, I also just finished downloading the Free version of the new Malwarebytes 3.0 last night.  So, I'll also be taking that out for a spin a little bit later.  So, if everything goes satisfactorily with Malwarebytes 3.0, that'll be replacing the old MBAM 2.0 and conceivably taking the mysterious Business Messaging issue with it.  But, it remains to be seen.  For all I know, the Business Messaging issue could also pop up with Malwarebytes 3.0.

Edited by Toto_Too, 29 December 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#15 Toto_Too

Toto_Too
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for your replies, bwv848 ... Julie! :thumbsup: If curiosity gets the best of me, I'll have to roll up my sleeves and actually go to the MBAM Forums.  Of course, I'll have to create an account first.  I hate having to go through that ... the User and Password creation bit. :ranting: I barely went through that the other day to join HERE the Bleeping Computer Forums. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users