Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using dropbox/cloud to negate locky before it strikes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fatmander

fatmander

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm posting this thinking it might help someone to negate an infection with locky.

I run a tech repair company, lately saw a few of my customers hit with locky....

they didn't pay the ransom but spent an equal amount of cash employing my services to restore backups and customisations etc

anyway, dropbox offer a kind of workaround solution with dropbox pro(1TB) for €100 per yer, to make use of it you have to remap your user folder locations to reside within dropbox.

ie, after you install dropbox to c:\users\bill\dropbox

change location of each user folder, e.g. C:\users/bill/desktop to c:\users\bill\dropbox\desktop

once synced, if changed by locky, dropbox will hold all versions of files for 30 days- you have 30 days for a rollback

they also offer a service for unlimited rollback for extra €40 I think

move appdata folders at your peril(a safe mode job, and not recommended imo)

If bill has 2 computers, you can use

c:\users\bill\dropbox\PC1\desktop

c:\users\bill\dropbox\PC2\desktop

remap all folders this way

on pc1 options, tell it not to sync pc2 folder, vice versa

be weary of using long file/folder paths, can make copying files from crashed dives a nightmare

ideally, c:\users\dropbox\PC1\desktop, I don't know enough about folder permissions to be putting userfolders in dropbox on the root of the drive(c:\dropbox\pc1 etc), so I'm erring on side of caution.

some drawbacks to dropbox...

I am currently waiting about 26 hours for dropbox to enact the rollback I requested, not exactly real time recovery....

If you have a lot of files, I wouldn't recommend installing it on a PC with under 4GB ram, and that's even too little

If your outlook pst/ost is in 'my documents', every time you close it, dropbox will attempt to upload the changes, not good -if your pst is >1GB - you need to time restarts for outlook, or pause syncing 

Dropbox will only backup files that are located under dropbox folder, anything on C drive, program files etc - no syncing unless you manually copy them into dropbox

still, I have one client using 8 computers/user profiles backed up to cloud for €100

cheapass cloud backup ftw

inb4 dropbox security = internet myth :)

(though they do have 2step auth now)

dropbox's support page, you have to email them for restore in event of large file rollbacks

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/8408

bit of a pain in the ass, still waiting

aside, I'm pretty sure dropbox are as despicable as bigger huge corporations, I see no reason this wouldn't work same for microsofts one drive, googles drive or any other cloud backup service...

giving all my data to google and/or M$ just scares me more

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fatmander

fatmander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

Just to update,
#dropbox support ain't stellar....not by a long shot

when you 'pay' for dropbox you're sposed to expect <48 hours timed return response...

Respectfully, it is Xmas, but I'm now at >6 days and they haven't enacted the changes I've requested as per my first email
I received 2 generic responses, saying how scary this is-but don't worry etc...but no action.. 

I then sent a 'mean mail' to 'em and they acclaimed they were resolving the issue with experts, still no dice 6 hours later

I am confident(meh?) that I will get my files, but frustration, year end account incoming for customers....dropbox shouldn't make promises they can't keep 

it is xmas, so dropbox should be allowed some timeframe, like 48 hours+-I'm now at 150+ hours(stopped counting, but approx 7 days)

screw the cloud, it's like saying "Hey everyone share all my files, privacy be damned...and I'll get back to you in a day...or 7"

guess the message is beware false promises 

'be weary forever' more like

I will get the files back, but would have more faith in more dropbox honesty, expect .

still the cheapass cloud backup is worthy of consideration for those that have no expectation of privacy

current osiris request is 2.5BTC

#3 fatmander

fatmander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

Final update,

So issue one, give me my files back...I needed them quickly...

Forced to upgrade to dropbox business @€750 per year just to get someone to answer the effing phone as The Boss was screaming down my ear every 30 mins....

Wasn't that fruitful talking to support, they told me it was escalated and wait, ended up going on a rant at dropbox on their forums, claiming they had ransomed my files on me(lol) and forced me to upgrade to business just to find out what was going on...

Strangely enough, when you kick up enough crap, stuff gets done, following morning we had 99% of files restored...after 8 DAYS!!! smh

The remaining few hundred encrypted files were again mailed/informed to dropbox support, and 4 days later(after the first 8 days) we have 100% of our files back...

Time taken dealing with dropbox, about 6 hours over a period of nearly 2 weeks....

fattie score from me, 6.8/10
value for money with dropbox pro is definitely 10/10 though, just be prepared to wait...patiently 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

Sometimes persistence pays off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif