Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moveon

moveon

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Hi, referred here from another thread

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/635470/non-urgent-spring-clean/ Windows Defender quite often won't update (also happens with my Win 8 machine)

Windows Updates have been supposed to be downloading for hours but are at 0% - it is a long time since I last tried.

Also this year been unable to install NViDIA updates. Just now when I try to download a new driver update, it says "could not connect to NVidia"

I have no problems updating browsers and several other software items. It just seems to be the Windows software and what arrived with the machine.

What might be causing this? Something to do with ports? VPN?

Sorry about the lines in bold, can't seem to get rid.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hi, referred here from another thread

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/635470/non-urgent-spring-clean/ Windows Defender quite often won't update (also happens with my Win 8 machine)

Windows Updates have been supposed to be downloading for hours but are at 0% - it is a long time since I last tried.

Also this year been unable to install NViDIA updates. Just now when I try to download a new driver update, it says "could not connect to NVidia"

I have no problems updating browsers and several other software items. It just seems to be the Windows software and what arrived with the machine.

What might be causing this? Something to do with ports? VPN?

Sorry about the lines in bold, can't seem to get rid.

This may help you, How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/918355

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

1. Do I understand correctly that you're talking about Windows 7 updates.
  2. If so, is it so, that is no download never will download nothing. 
  3. How long it has lasted already, and when or how it started.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hi:

This fix is not specific for NVidia or Windows Defender updates, but it might resolve your general issue with "checking for updates".

It worked for me on 2 Win7 boxes, many folks here at bleeping, and many more folks at sevenforums.com.

TMALSS, you need to manually install a couple of specific Windows patches (especially KB3172605) to fix a problem with the Windows Update client.

See REPLY #3 in this thread:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632621/windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates-forever/

In any event, it will only take about 5 or 10 minutes, including a couple of system reboots.

The fix was put together several months ago, before MS switched to monthly "Roll-Up" updates.

I do not have a way to test the theory, but it's possible that the October, November and/or December Security+Quality Rollup *might* achieve the same fix.

If it does not work for you, or if you get a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.

Please let us know how it goes,

MM

#5 moveon

moveon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:34 AM

MoxieMomma, your solution appears to have worked. Thank you very much.

(First time I forgot the bit about services.msc - I had the instructions in Notepad and that bit was off the default window size - so used a restore point to start the process again and follow to the letter.)

MSE is now updated; some Windows updates installed last night via the applet.

(But it has made no difference to the failure of the Nvidia updater; it can say there are updates, but when trying to download them it always fails to connect to Nvidia.)

I'd been ignoring this for months, but in retrospect it was a potentially pretty serious problem. Good to have got it sorted.

Now, I just need the equivalent for Windows 8.1 x64 (the other machine that has this problem, it's not 8 Server like the platform selection for these updates suggested)

- but it looks like that's here:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/634013/windows-81-updates/

...And solutions to the fairly minor problem with the tablet and the bigger problems with the printer...and the issue with history in Firefox on Win 8.1. There are loads of these computer issues I've been neglecting for ages and need to get sorted out now there's time to focus on them for a bit.

Edited by moveon, 24 December 2016 - 03:49 AM.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

Hi:

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue with Windows Update.

I'm not sure I fully understand your NVidia issue -- whether it relates to driver updates via Windows Update (generally not advised, especially for OEM ("name brand") computers (such as Dell, HP, ASUS, etc.)) or whether you are talking about NVidia's own software updater (that would be a different problem and solution).

I would not get video drivers -- especially for an OEM system -- either through Windows Update or from NVidia.

Either way, if you have an OEM computer -- e.g. Dell -- then I would go to the Dell Drivers/Downloads page to get drivers specific for your computer, using its unique Service Tag #.

And that would be a different, separate issue from the one in this thread.  So you might wish to start a new thread for the video driver problem, if you still need help.

As for your Firefox issue, that, too, is a different problem.  I have replied to your other topic about that.

cheers,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users