Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get to certain sites anymore

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 scififan

scififan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Hi all,

I'm using Google Chrome, it's up to date, I've cleared cookies and cache and I'm having problems getting on to three sites so far -

cbr.com

comicpriceguide.com

alternatehistory.com

They all say the same thing - "This site can't be reached" XXY.com took too long to respond. Search Google for...  ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I'm not computer savvy, I have no clue what to do now, and it just started two days, no problem before.

Could anyone help?

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2016 - 12:53 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

Try a different browser?

I just connected to all 3, using Firefox.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 December 2016 - 10:37 AM.

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

cbr.com

comicpriceguide.com

alternatehistory.com

Most probably it was some kind of problem with internet connection or with server, but not problem in Your system.
If to talk about given urls, then
  1.  works correctly
  2.  works correctly
  3.  works correctly

Edited by kaljukass, 23 December 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

What happens if you try to ping or tracert the websites? 

Also, are you using the same hand-me-down you were using in June? If so, did you ever reformat it like you said you were planning? As per your last post in June, it looked like you were having malware and/or anti-virus problems. My guess is that is some how blocking those sites. 

Edited by Trikein, 23 December 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#5 scififan

scififan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:17 AM

well, since my last post in this topic..I can only use Youtube, Google forums, this site that 3-4 reloads before I could even see this, and I can get to AOL, but when I try to check my mail, it times out again.

I haven't been to any weird sites, I've basically used the sites YT, Deviant Art and the three in my first post and google docs.

I have Malwarebytes trial, and somehow its saying utorrent and svchost are blocked. (with no problems showing in hyper scan.)

I have deleted and reinstalled Google chrome

I have cleared cache/cookies

I talked with Comcast this am and they re-set the router

The customer serv. asst tried to get me to a site isitmeoreveryone.com (I think) and that timed out too.

After I was here in June. the problems sort have resolved themselves. As I said, until two days ago, I had no problem using my laptop, now everything but YT basically says err connection timed out. I even tried this..http://www.incrediblelab.com/connection-timed-out-error-fixed/ 

I did step 3, and tried step 4, not sure if 4 worked, obviously it didn't, I have no clue what to do. I tried IE and it does the same thing.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

I have Malwarebytes trial, and somehow its saying utorrent and svchost are blocked. (with no problems showing in hyper scan.)

First:

A Hyper scan with Malwarebytes is the most superficial, least-robust type of scan.  (It was basically a leftover feature from much older program versions and is not recommended.) If anything were found on a Hyper scan, a Threat scan (or even a full, custom scan) would be needed for proper cleanup.

So, if anything, I suggest running a Threat scan, the default and recommended scan type to look for live malware in all the common places it's likely to hide.

Having said that, no single security application can detect all possible malware variants.  So one clean MBAM or MB3 scan does not necessarily mean you are clean.

Second:

It's "normal" to see IP blocks when running torrents or P2P. That is MBAM (or MB3, if you are on the new version) doing its job.

However, "svchost.exe" is a legitimate system file often targeted by malware.

If you are seeing multiple IP blocks due to "svchost", especially OUTBOUND and/or especially when no browsers are open, then it sounds as if you might be infected.

Also:

There are numerous bugs and issues with the new version of Malwarebytes, "MB3".  It's possible that some of the odd behavior you report about accessing web pages *might* be related to those bugs, especially to subtle compatibility problems with other security apps.

Overall, I would be highly suspicious for possible malware, especially given the svchost IP blocks.

If this were my computer, I would head over to the AII or the MRL section here at bleeping, for a bit of expert guidance checking the system and, if needed, cleaning it up.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 24 December 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

After you clean your system, you may want to re-think about using Utorrent. Not only is it not safe for malware reasons, but the service is just about owned by the people enforcing IP law, so you rolling the dice until you get caught. 

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

Moved to AII for malware check.

Louis

#9 scififan

scififan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:54 AM

I just realized that I dl'd Malwarebytes after I was having the problems as one of the fixes said to check for viruses, malware etc, and it suggested MB.

It's still not connecting to sites except YT and a couple Google forums for answers to my problem.

I again deleted Chrome and reloaded, cleaned cache/cookies and didn't do anything else, I didn't want to mess it up e en more.

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

Zemana Deep Scan.

• Right click on Zemana and run as admin.
  • Click the Cog/Sproket Wheel, at the top right of Zemana
  • Select Advanced - I have read the warning and wish to proceed.
  • Place a tick next to Detect Suspicious (Root CA) Certificates.
  • Then click the house icon in Zemana.
  • Then hit your start button at the lower left hand corner of your desktop.
  • Then left click on Computer.
  • Drag Local Disk C: Into the area of Zemana that reads Drag and drop files here to scan them.
  • oHw0QqX.png
  • Once the scan has completed click graph icon on the top right of the programs User interface.
  • Double click to open the latest log-file.
  • Copy it to your clipboard.
  • Post the log here in your next reply.

Security Check Scan.

• Download Security Check to your desktop.
  • Right click it run as administrator.
  • When the program completes, the tool will automatically open a log file.
  • Please post that log here in your next post.

MiniToolBox Scan.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go post the result.

9-Lab Scan.

• Download 9-Lab Removal Tool.
  • CLICK HERE to determine whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit for Windows.
  • Install the program onto your computer, then right click the icon  run as administrator.
  • Update the program and then run a full scan!
  • Make sure the program updates, might be better to install it update reboot and check for updates again.
  • You need to make sure the database updates!!!
  • Upon Scan Completion Click on Show Results.
  • Then Click On Clean 
  • Then Click on Save Log.
  • Save it to your desktop, copy and paste the contents of the log here in your next reply.

Adware Removal Tool Scan.

Download Adware removal tool to your desktop, right click the icon and select Run as Administrator.

LOr0Gd7.png

Hit Ok.

sYFsqHx.png

Hit next make sure to leave all items checked, for removal.

8NcZjGc.png

The Program will close all open programs to complete the removal, so save any work and hit OK. Then hit OK after the removal process is complete, thenOK again to finish up. Post log generated by tool.

#11 scififan

scififan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:38 PM

Believe it or not, I tried to see if my McAfee or Norton was hurting the laptop, so I deleted both then had Windows Defender updated, and the problem seems to have stopped. 

(What could make it happen again?)

My problem is now, I want to clear the gunk from my laptop, and I understand Adware tool you recommend is probably good, what else can I use to clear a lot of stuff from the laptop?

#12 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:47 PM

My problem is now, I want to clear the gunk from my laptop, and I understand Adware tool you recommend is probably good, what else can I use to clear a lot of stuff from the laptop?

Just follow my instructions, we  will get your machine running at peak level... :)

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

Believe it or not, I tried to see if my McAfee or Norton was hurting the laptop, so I deleted both then had Windows Defender updated, and the problem seems to have stopped. 

(What could make it happen again?)

You should not have more than one antivirus installed at any time.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users