Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading 5yr old custom PC due to Blue Screen issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chrisator

Chrisator

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

Hi everyone! So I'll go over my current problem very quickly; I bought a custom built PC about 5 years ago, with the below speccs:

750 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM 16MB
2x Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (2x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked (4 x 3.3GHz) 6MB
1280MB EVGA GTX 570 HD Superclocked, 40nm, 3900MHz GDDR5, GPU 797MHz, Shader 1594MHz, 480 Cores
Corsair 700W Gaming PSU - Low Noise
Samsung 24x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - Lightscribe (SATA)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
90GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD SATA-III, Read 525MB/s, Write 500MB/s - Silent
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (Intel Z68)

Windows 7 (upgraded to 10)

My prime use for the PC is gaming, but it also serves as my home computer. I recently ran into some blue screen problems, and after taking the device to multiple shops, I've now been informed my Motherboard has some water damage, and needs to be replaced (I've also been told my GPU has some minor issues too, but that this shouldn't actually be causing me any problems).

Considering the fact that my device is a few years old now, I'm having trouble finding the same Motherboard, and I've been told by the shop that I'll need to either go for a low-end motherboard that will decrease my performance and doesn't have SLI capabilities, or fork up some serious cash and go for a new high-end motherboard which would also need a new CPU and RAM.

I'm very keen on upgrading my device, but would rather spend the extra cash on a GTX970 or 1060, and not waste it on a high-end motherboard and CPU that would likely not affect my performance all that much. That being said, I'd also rather not run into this problem again in the near future, as my budget for upgrades is very much finite and time-limited. I've looked around at some of the specc comparison websites, but am having trouble finding a motherboard that fits my needs, but also doesn't need me to upgrade my CPU/Ram.

I'd appreciate any valid advice on the best next step; what Motherboard would you suggest as a replacement for my current one, that doesn't cause me any loss of performance, but also doesn't require a new CPU (and wouldn't be difficult to find). And if that isn't possible, which Motherboard/CPU combination would you suggest that won't break the bank for me?

Thanks very much in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 23 December 2016 - 01:18 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 Chrisator

Chrisator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

Hi Louis, thank you for your response. Sadly I can't pull any data from my PC, because as I mentioned above, it is currently at the repair shop.

If the information in my original post isn't enough, I can do my best to provide you with more, but can't pull any actual logs from the faulty PC.

#4 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hi Louis, thank you for your response. Sadly I can't pull any data from my PC, because as I mentioned above, it is currently at the repair shop.

If the information in my original post isn't enough, I can do my best to provide you with more, but can't pull any actual logs from the faulty PC.

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, LGA 1155, Intel Motherboard

http://www.ebay.com/p/Asus-P8Z68-V-PRO-GEN3-LGA-1155-Intel-Motherboard/115185092

#5 Chrisator

Chrisator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, LGA 1155, Intel Motherboard

http://www.ebay.com/p/Asus-P8Z68-V-PRO-GEN3-LGA-1155-Intel-Motherboard/115185092

Sadly most of the ones on Ebay either don't deliver to where I live or cost $60, so that's not really an option. Any suggestions of a newer Motherboard I could use?

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:01 AM

OP you do not need an "SLI capable" motherboard you have a 2nd gen I5 2500k all you need is a replacement motherboard. You don't even need high end. In fact, you don't even need mid-end. All you need is a good replacement. Where are you located that it would make Ebay, or any other retailer an issue to deliver to you?

#7 Chrisator

Chrisator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for your response Zone_86. Yeah SLI was probably a pipe-dream anyhow, but I'd rather not actively lose performance with the new Motherboard. I'm located in Dubai, and almost all boards on Amazon and Ebay either don't deliver here, or cost $70+ to ship.

The two boards I've managed to find are these;

Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1333 ATX - BOXDZ77BH55K

and

Intel BOXDP67BGB3 Socket 1155, Intel P67, CrossFireX & SLI, SATA3&USB3.0, A&GbE, ATX Motherboard  (currently out of stock)

The first only has 1333 memory support, and I'm not sure if that is a significant performance loss? Would this be a problem for my 1600 RAM sticks, or could I just buy an extra 8Gb of Ram to make up for the performance loss?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users