Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wine problem - uninstall / reinstall

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:02 PM

I decided to remove Wine from Linux Mint Rosa ( I hardly ever used it and don't like it )
Now when I run Update I get errors relating to Wine remnants ( see screenie )

I've tried the usual commands ... remove , purge etc but still the same issues
I thought reinstalling it might sort it out , but no .

It's not a real problem , just irritating.
Am I missing something stupidly obvious ?

I would be grateful for any tips .

Attached Files

Edited by synaptic, 22 December 2016 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

You can do that with Synaptic Package Manager. When you login and then search/locate wine, and it shows up in the right pane, a right click on the corresponding checkbox > choose "Completely remove".

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

THIS PAGE is a good read

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:57 AM

Have you tried:

apt-get --purge remove wine

apt-get autoremove

apt-get autoclean

apt-get clean

and then updating?

Also could try that Synpatic package manager thing, that fixed a distro i was working on.

Edited by Viper_Security, 23 December 2016 - 01:57 AM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 synaptic

synaptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:07 AM

Thank you guys , for the quick and helpful responses .

@Condobloke

Thanks for that link .

I have been casually searching for weeks , using every combination of search terms I could think of ...

.... don't know how I missed that one !

But it appears I am not the only one with this problem .

@Viper_Security

I tried most , but not all of those commands , so I will try again with the exact sequence you suggest .

I will check out those suggestions ( as soon as people stop asking me for advice on christmas hardware purchases :) )

Edited by synaptic, 23 December 2016 - 03:10 AM.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:10 AM

I learned my lesson the hard way, a little over a year back, a still active member whom I'll not call out by name (because I don't believe any harm was meant) came along with a Silverlight replacement software named 'Pipelight' to watch Netflix, Hulu/Hulu Plus & more. Unfortunately until it was too late, I then discovered that WINE was on my system, and performed the uninstall the regular way by select uninstall, not via the Package Manager. :(

Then I did what I had to, being a fresh install that took nearly three hours to fully setup less than a week earlier, and chose to open the Home folder & used the option to show hidden files & directories (there's a LOT more in there other than the user's 8-10 folders). Then I was able, one by one, to remove by deletion all remnants of WINE in about an hour, and after running the file checker one last time to ensure there were no more, ran 'sudo apt autoremove', which found a couple more. Then I was in business again.

Lesson learned, I no longer blindly install these 'little things' that may trigger other changes, will research first to see what's coming along for the ride. :)

To be honest, I have no idea why WINE shipped with Pipelight, it's only a plug-in, though the only thing that I can figure was that it's a copycat of a Microsoft product. Being that we can legally install Microsoft Fonts with  Synaptic (search 'tts-microsoft-installer') after agreeing to the EULA, may as well be offered Silverlight w/out WINE. :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 synaptic

synaptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:18 AM

@cat1092

Ouch  !!!

Sounds like you had a nightmare .

Are you saying that using the  "autoremove" command would have saved you all that manual clean-up work ?

Edited by synaptic, 23 December 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:56 AM

synaptic, it may well could have, being that I chose the hard way instead, will never know. :)

All I can advise is the 'try & see' approach & view the results. Though I'd still manually check the hidden files in the Home directory before declaring that all remnants of WINE is gone. That's where the configuration files of many apps ends up, and debunks the conception that there's more in there other than the 8-10 main folders that's seen in one's main Home folder. These has to go somewhere, because normally once setup, root will practically remain the same size for years. This was also a mistake on my part when 'fresh upgrading' Linux Mint with every release from Mint 12 (may have been 11) through Mint 17.1, when I decided that more room was needed for virtual machines & purchased a 1TiB Seagate HDD that's very fast (ST1000DM003) & clean installed the entire drive. Used half for Linux Mint /home & the other half for Windows Data. The deal was a bundle that included a 120GiB Samsung 850 EVO for $99.99 that I used elsewhere, for only $30 more, this was when that size was a bit higher in cost & so was the Seagate HDD (alone would had been $69.99), so came out smelling like a rose. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840&cm_re=seagate_1TB_HDD-_-22-148-840-_-Product

Then I placed the old drive in the docking station, and for every folder on the new that had content in the old, deleted these in the new & transferred the old over by 'drag & drop' method, the one that took the most time was the VMware folder, which had half a dozen VM's within. Then once all was up & running, a day or two later got to looking, and chose to see the hidden files & directories, after deleting all of the old folders that had content (once copied elsewhere), there was over 3GiB of nothing except mostly pure junk. Some of these files were over 4 years old & no wonder why I had icons showing after a 'fresh upgrade' (formatting root only & assigning Swap & Home), just never ticked the Format box of Home. 

Will never make that mistake again, with every new Linux Mint LTS, will backup my main folders to an external, format all, root is on SSD, Swap & /home is on HDD (except on three notebooks). I prefer the PC at home because first off for the power, and secondly, can give an entire HDD to Linux Mint /home if needed. :)

So if this should happen again, will uninstall WINE & it's dependencies from the Package Manager & then run 'sudo apt autoclean', then check Home for leftovers. I just don't fully trust these automated (or power) uninstallers on any OS, will go in there & often find things left behind, regardless of OS brand. However, I'll readily admit that Linux does a much better job at cleanup than the four pane OS with a wallpaper that looks like a prison cell or dungeon with a bit of light shining in, whoever came up with that needs to be placed on the cleaning squad. :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:34 AM

Hi synaptic!

From Cat:

Though I'd still manually check the hidden files in the Home directory before declaring that all remnants of WINE is gone.

... and quite so :thumbup2:

@Condobloke:

Nice find in #3 Brian, because it also illustrates a mistaken reading of a tilde for a dash/hyphen in a command, which is a common error sometimes even persisting through a copy & paste, depending on the fonts structure used.

@Viper_Security:

Good rollcall of cleanup measures, albeit checking the Home folder as Cat has said should be paired with it/them.

@synaptic:

Some of those commands mentioned by Viper can be further explored at an old Topic I had here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605768/hoovering-linux-housekeeping-benefits/

... if you have the interest. As well as cleaning up, the processes can save you gigabytes, as Friend pcpunk and I have found.

Enjoy Linux, all

:wizardball: Wizard

#10 synaptic

synaptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:36 AM

Just stepping back from the Wine issue for moment ....

This thread ( and links kindly provided by contributors ) has shown me that I may have made an incorrect assumption about Linux.

I always thought it was much better than other operating systems at cleaning up after itself , but now it appears it can act like a difficult teenager ...

.... pizza boxes , candy wrappers and dirty underwear shoved under the bed , and in dusty corners - :)

Anyway , I now have plenty of background reading to catch-up on ( luckily it is the ideal time of year to do it )

Thanks again to all for tips and suggestions

@wizardfromoz

- thanks for posting the link to your earlier writings on housekeeping   .... excellent !

Edited by synaptic, 24 December 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:09 AM

@wizardfromoz

- thanks for posting the link to your earlier writings on housekeeping   .... excellent !

You are certainly welcome, friend.

Linux is not the land of milk and honey - but then I spent 25 years with Windows, and in comparison, it is, lol.

Fragmentation under Linux is almost unheard of. Non-contiguous files, what are they?

I won't further extol the virtues of Linux over the alternatives, as it would be off-topic here. Suffice it to say - I can't get enough of the bugger, hence running 48 of them, and adding another out in the Garage - MX-16, a Debian-based Distro from mepis.org - as soon as I post this from the study.

Enjoy Linux - I do.

:wizardball: Wizard

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:17 AM

Morning, all.

Even Puppy, although extremely good at removing all components of an app when uninstalling (including config files, thankfully), still has this weird habit of leaving empty directories all over the place that previously held those same config files...

I'll agree with Wiz, though. I'd still take it over Windoze, any day of the week..!  :lol:

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

Linux is not the land of milk and honey - but then I spent 25 years with Windows, and in comparison, it is, lol.

Think of those who has always been on Linux, has never seen a Windows OS at all, or cannot afford the OS. I'm sure that many of these folks will gladly proclaim that Linux is the land of the milk & honey, as it's set them free to roam the planet at no charge other than for the hardware. Speaking of which, in some areas, a 10 year old machine is like a brand new one to many of us fortunate folks. :)

Something to think about this holiday season, how fortunate we are compared to many & what we can do to assist others in need. Back when I was still deep in learning, performed a lot of work on a pro bono basis, though would accept tips, unless the folks looked like they needed it more than myself. Still have some friends from those days, getting fresh veggies in the season, an occasional deer shoulder every now & then. In fact, today we're cooking a pot of collards given to us by one of my early clients while learning, she brought by two fully cleaned heads, ready to cook. :)

While I do work for cash, it was these folks that got me started, and if any called on me today, would assist at no charge other than needed components, unless I have a spare that's otherwise not going to be used, often components of the DDR & DDR2 eras (usually DDR2 at this time). These, I'll give away to be rid of any, and I still collect computers that are given to me to repair others at little to no charge for the needy. :thumbsup:

However, my latest regulars, I have a feel for their income & have raised pricing w/out loss of business, a 20% across the board increase, if a reinstall isn't worth $75, then they can go & get pricing at PC shops or Best Buy, and most gladly returns to me for the job. 

Fragmentation under Linux is almost unheard of.

Yes, I recall that we all had a discussion about this well over a year back, maybe two by now, it's so low that fragmentation is a non-factor for Linux users. Compared to Windows users, who had best perform their first defrag before updating, to later have space to shrink for a dual boot of Linux (or a Data partition). The Linux filesystem is a very smart one & knows where to place each file to prevent fragmentation before it sets in. This is another reason why even on low-spec hardware, a Linux install is fast, no fragmentation means more speed, not having to bounce all over the drive to find files (like a maintenance person walking around a parking lot picking up debris, some here & there). No issue on Linux, and somewhere within this Forum, a discussion where several of us put our systems to the test, the results were awesome! :)

If by chance one wants WINE installed on their Linux system, I'll do it, yet will warn of the dangers that may lie ahead, it's opening a door for Malware to sneak in, and more are becoming aware of this. Many PC shops may not do this, or may even be ignorant of the fact, however I feel it to be my duty to let my customers know about this. Other extras that I perform at no charge are the removal of Fast Boot (a gimmick that slowly destroys mobile computers), and also Secure Boot, which prevents some Linux based tools from booting & if a tower PC, may prevent issues when installing sound & graphics cards. The user is responsible for having an active anti-Malware to load at boot, all Secure Boot does is place the computer is shackles. 

Cat

#14 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

I would suggest trying to fix the dependency issues, and then uninstalling again.

To do so try:

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get purge wine

#15 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

I would suggest trying to fix the dependency issues, and then uninstalling again.

To do so try:

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get purge wine

I completely spaced the "-f install" thank you hollowface!

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users