Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Reset VERY stuck.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Maptool

Maptool

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

After having troubles with my PC for a year, and having a really bad problem with AVG blocking my internet, I decided to reset my computer. I got to the bit where it started installing windows, and it suddenly froze. I decided to give it a hard shutdown. After this, the computer gave me the error "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows Installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click OK to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." The only fix for this I could find involved pulling up Command Prompt with the hotkey Shift+F10. After multiple attempts and restarts, I find this just WILL NOT work. I've been told to use FN+Shift+F10, but I have no FN key. I'm hopelessly stuck and need some help here! I do not have the windows recovery disc anymore, as it would seem i've misplaced it. Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

Windows version ?

#3 Maptool

Maptool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:51 AM

Windows version ?

Windows 10. We've actually gotten through the  "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows Installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click OK to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." And now we're stuck in a loop of restarts. The computer will boot up, show 64% installed, and then restart. This is proving VERY frustrating. Would love any helps we could get.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:58 AM

See here for a possible fix at bottom of first post

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-factory-reset-restart-loop/dcea1d8d-9d4c-436a-96ec-5c969830e058

#5 Maptool

Maptool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

It says 

"The resolution to this problem was doing the custom installation of windows and deleting the current partitions. I then created new partitions and installed windows to the larger partition.

"
I have NO idea what this means.
Heelp?

#6 Maptool

Maptool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

UPDATE: We tried to use the "create a windows recover disc" trick, but we got the error  "Unable to recover your PC, the system drive too small." If there's a fix for this, that would be awesome as well. Basically, we're running into every problem in the book. This is proving very frustrating, and we're on the verge of just going out and buying one of those stupid keys for Windows 10, but we don't know what condition the computer is in, and if it'll be a waste of money. 

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:36 AM

It says 

"The resolution to this problem was doing the custom installation of windows and deleting the current partitions. I then created new partitions and installed windows to the larger partition."

Heelp?

lolz its means windows bombed and you need to do a full rebuild, and time to back up data off the drive.

Here, this is what most computer stores use to fix computers, its a pc repair tech cd with a live boot version of winxp in it + 1000 tool for fixing computers
btw is your drive is a ssd or old stile drive, depending what it is changes how to do a full wipe of it.

#8 Maptool

Maptool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

It says 

"The resolution to this problem was doing the custom installation of windows and deleting the current partitions. I then created new partitions and installed windows to the larger partition."

Heelp?

lolz its means windows bombed and you need to do a full rebuild, and time to back up data off the drive.

Here, this is what most computer stores use to fix computers, its a pc repair tech cd with a live boot version of winxp in it + 1000 tool for fixing computers
btw is your drive is a ssd or old stile drive, depending what it is changes how to do a full wipe of it.

I'm confused, will we be booting the PC up with Windows XP? We're just using an HDD.

#9 Maptool

Maptool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

UPDATE: Now it's stuck on "Scanning and Repairing drive (C:): 100% Complete"

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:59 AM

There is no need to purchase a Windows 10 key if your computer has already been activated on Microsoft Servers. You can download the Media Creation Tool on a Windows 7 or later computer and create a DVD or USB flash drive of Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Do you need to recover data off the HDD?

If not you can use the Windows 10 disk to wipe the drive and do a clean install  of Windows 10. Windows 10 will automatically create new partitions. What is the make and model of the computer?  

Edit: I would need to know what the make and model of the computer is in order to post the correct diskpart commands to initialize the disk as MBR or GPT. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#11 Maptool

Maptool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

There is no need to purchase a Windows 10 key if your computer has already been activated on Microsoft Servers. You can download the Media Creation Tool on a Windows 7 or later computer and create a DVD or USB flash drive of Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Do you need to recover data off the HDD?

If not you can use the Windows 10 disk to wipe the drive and do a clean install  of Windows 10. Windows 10 will automatically create new partitions. What is the make and model of the computer?  

Edit: I would need to know what the make and model of the computer is in order to post the correct diskpart commands to initialize the disk as MBR or GPT. 

It's a Dell Inspiron 3646. We don't need any of the files that were on the HDD, we just want the computer and operating system working again. I very much appreciate your help on this subject.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:08 AM

Did this computer come with Windows 8.1 before it was upgraded to 10?

#13 Maptool

Maptool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

Did this computer come with Windows 8.1 before it was upgraded to 10?

Yes. It came with Windows 8, and we upgraded to Windows 10 months ago.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

Do you wish to return to Windows 8.1 or do you prefer to stay with Windows 10?

#15 Maptool

Maptool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:13 AM

Do you wish to return to Windows 8.1 or do you prefer to stay with Windows 10?

Going back to windows 8.1 would be nice, Windows 10 has too many update issues. But if it isn't possible without a huge hassle, we'll settle for Windows 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users