Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No supported wireless adapters are installed in this system

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheMozzieWhisperer

TheMozzieWhisperer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

I know this issue has been reported before however I have yet to come across something that will fix it. It's been a while since it first started so I don't have lot of details other than one day it was working, and the next it wasn't. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5548 and my wifi doesn't work anymore. Ethernet is fine, so first step was updating drivers. Funny thing is, they don't want to update. I've tried using Windows Update, multiple driver managers, and of course downloading the drivers from both the Dell and Intel sites. Nothing works - the install always fails.

Any help at all is very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager next to network devices or unknown devices? Do you see the Wifi icon in the system tray?

#3 TheMozzieWhisperer

TheMozzieWhisperer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

In the Device Manager there's one exclamation mark next to Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 (in the Network Adapters category) and another one next to an Unknown Device (Just kidding that one is gone now(?)). I've tried uninstalling the Intel one multiple times (which it says it finishes completely) however upon reinstalling/updating, I receive an error message that the installation failed. The Wifi Icon does not appear in the system tray when I have the ethernet cord out. I think it's probably worth mentioning that in the Network and Sharing Center>Change Adapter Settings folder (? is it actually a folder?), where there usually are two connections (wireless and ethernet), I only have ethernet.

Edited by TheMozzieWhisperer, 23 December 2016 - 02:14 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

Is this the intel driver you downloaded and tried to install? If not then install it after uninstalling your current driver. If the intel driver is the one you have tried installing then try this one from Dell. The intel drive is the latest version and the preferable one.

I have dealt with Dell drivers and sometimes the ones on their site on not the best. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#5 TheMozzieWhisperer

TheMozzieWhisperer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:00 AM

I downloaded both the Intel and Dell drivers and installed the Intel one first. After restarting my computer, as I saw no immediate change, the Device Manager still says that "...Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". The device log shows that NETwNb64, vwifibus, and netwbw02.inf were each added a total of three times throught the course of the Intel driver installation. Still no wifi.

So out the Intel driver goes and in with the Dell driver. After installation I saw that the Device log said that it installed NETwNb64, vwifibus, and netwbw02.inf on its own. I'm assuming that these are the original, basic drivers? That could mean that they were actually only added twice by the Intel installer. Anyways, tried to install the Dell driver and get this... The installer tells me that "a newer version of this prodect is already installed." My first thoughts were "wut da heck..." but then I considered the possibility that the Intel Proset software might be replacing the drivers by itself as only the network drivers are uninstalled and not the program itself.

Under the assumption that I should then remove Intel Proset completely, I then unistalled the Proset software and then the drivers (this time checking the option to delete the driver software). Still it reloads what I think are the basic drivers for the Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160. After again trying to install the Dell package I get a new message. "Installation Blocked: This software package cannot be installed on your system. Please resolve these errors and retry Installation."

So it works now. Strange. Rebooted; still no change. Same three services installed same "unable to load the drivers" error  message.

I am thoroughly confused.

Still confused, only more so. XD

Thank you for your patience.

Edited by TheMozzieWhisperer, 24 December 2016 - 03:16 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:33 AM

Strange. Are you saying Wifi works but you get the error saying "unable to load drivers"?

#7 TheMozzieWhisperer

TheMozzieWhisperer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

Sorry, my response was a little garbled. I meant to say that the installation worked, but no, unfortunately the wifi is not working. Sorry about the incomprehensible language. :P

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

Dell has a diagnostic program that is started by tapping F12 at boot but I do not know if would check the Wifi adapter. 

Did you right click the Wifi icon in the System Tray and select Troubleshoot Networking?

You could boot a live linux disk to confirm if the adapter itself is bad. Another option is to use a USB dongle like this one. Make sure you get one compatible with 8.1

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5520_TL-WN725N.html

Other than that I am out of ideas, sorry. 

#9 TheMozzieWhisperer

TheMozzieWhisperer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, I've been wondering if it's the adapter. I'll try checking it with Linux. If that doesn't work I'll get myself a Wifi USB dongle. Thanks for the for all the help, JohnC! Ciao!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

Your Welcome,

I would look at either Mint 18 or Ubuntu 16.04 for a distro to check the wifi. Good Luck.  

If you get a chance please post back an update. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users