Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Laptop with SSD - Transfer to new Desktop win Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dabutter90

dabutter90

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

Hi There!

Here is my scenario:

-I have a HP Laptop with Windows 7 Professional installed, in addition to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. 

- I just purchased an Hp 8200 SFF Desktop with Windows 10 and a 2tb HDD

I have purchased the proper mount to install the SSD in the desktop, an have a SATA cable for potential data transfer. My question is, what is the best way to use my SSD as the main drive on the new desktop while keeping my current configuration? In addition, use the 2tb hard drive ONLY for storage.

*Note - I cannot install Windows 10 in my laptop because my graphics card does not support it.

Thanks in advance!

Hardware

New Desktop

HP Elite 8200 SFF Desktop (Intel Quad Core i7 up to 3.8GHz Processor), 2TB HDD, 16GB DDR3 Memory, Windows 10 Professional

Laptop (Spec File Attached)

HP Elitebook 8560p

Attached Files

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 December 2016 - 04:19 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to 'Internal hardware'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

Well...there are several potential issues.

Each of the systems mentioned is an OEM system.  Which means that there is no way to install the HP laptop system files and drivers...on the HP desktop.  By design, HP makes this impossible to do...since the license for each relates only to the system originally installed in.

If you want to simply use the SSD as a new boot drive in the desktop...then I think the best result would be cloning the new O/S onto the SSD and then set the BIOS accordingly (with the hard drive not attached.  Verify that you can boot from the SSD...then turn the system off and attach the 2TB drive as a non-boot drive.  Delete the Windows partition from the 2TB drive...create any storage partitions you desire on the 2TB drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users