Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

permissions FUBAR'ing my main computer.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Starforce2

Starforce2

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

Greatings. I was recently messing with a harddrive from a laptop, and it was hooked up via a usb drive bay. As I was recovering files, such as out of a desktop folder, my documents, users folder and other places they usually end up for the owner of the computer, I was also using a data wipe program to securely erase the files as I completed backing up thier files. However, i was getting a lot of permission/access denied and so on. I used a program called take ownership pro and windows permission  manager to finally solve most of this. However I quickly found out that there was something causing cross-over on the permissions with my main drive. Now I lost a few app icons from my desktop, some of my start menu and almost all of my task bar "user pinned" were not working, couldn't open firefox, and in some cases pictures wouldn't open from or save to the desktop (permission denied). So I reset my C/users/ect desktop folder and some of those other locations with the windows permission manager and that helped some but not all. I finally got fed up and went to drive C and using windows permission gave all user accounts "full control" and hit apply. quite a lot of things, such as google chrome user app data folder, which wouldn't start after a restart, (even when trying directly from drive C installed folder) avira (which I can do without and just reinstall rather than fix) and a few other things wouldn't take the settings (access denied). Upon completion of the permission change over, my desktop and all the files on it went away so only my computer and the recycle bin was on, refreshing got the dialog to clock to grant yourself permanent access to this folder, and finally the graphics driver went haywire and crashed. Now, I can still start my computer in both regular and safe modes, but after windows loads I get a black screen and a working mouse pointer.

How can I reset the permissions to the files on this drive so windows and my [programs can read the files they need (for example, only some mp3 stored in my documents worked, while others is different folders wouldn't play despite the file path being correct).

Also, how do I avoid this "cross over" effect? For example, after backing up the desktop folder on the other drive, I sent it to recycle and deleted, and it removed application shortcuts from my desktop on drive C, despite showing files only from drive X in the recycle bin) I often do this either for my old computers or for friends, and need to know how to stop changes I make to a usb drive from affecting my C drive. I even found my user folder under a drive X file path and was browsing my files located on drive C despite the address bar saying I was on drive X. It makes no sense. I am sure I lost my chrome session but hopefully all my tabs come back if I can ever get the thing to load again. Book marks too. I don't use chromes login, I feel they track my web sites and shopping enough they don't need me handing it to them.

I do have a USB drive case so I can remove my sata drive if need be and diagnose it with my laptop and plenty of TB to back up my files should I need to start over, provided I can get permission to open/copy the folders without bricking the laptop too. Additionally I do not know where the windows CD that came with this machine went, and I do not want to change OS to windows 10 or whatever it is now. I like it the way it is. I would like to rescue my main drive, as none of the files are gone it's just this permission crap.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 Starforce2

Starforce2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

you do understand I can't do anything with the affected computer, right? Except move a mouse pointer? There's nothing to click, no way to download a file...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

Firstly, you can download your Windows version in iso format using this tool. Your AV may flag it but it's a false positive. It may be possible to do a System Restore to a date before the changes if you have a restore date available.

You can also copy your files to your TB drive using a live linux disk. This would remove the possibility or any permission crossover.

You can also use the live linux disk to copy your Software Hive in C:\Windows\System32\config to your external drive and then use Produkey with the HIVE to pull your Windows 7 key if you do not have it. This key would be different than what is on the COA sticker. If the key on your COA sticker is legible then you can use that with phone activation.

You can use Parted Magic and this guide to copy your files to a USB external drive. Parted Magic is included in UBCD.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

If i see a computer go psychotic like that my self i tend to think its a virus infestation factory, id just backup data if you dare to and do a good purge of the hdds in question and start over.

Depending on whats going on putting a external hdd in their might eat the data on it too or make it reinfect other computers.

Some tools you might find useful for a rebuild all live boot.

https://linuxmint.com/

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

#6 Starforce2

Starforce2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

I am hoping to avoid a reinstall type start over, I was hoping just to restore the permissions correctly to the C drive so it boots up properly. everything was working great until I changed permissions on that labtop drive. What about that windows iso? If I run that from my laptop (I think the sticker is on my computer) would it be possible to repair the windows install? I am fairly sure I've heard there is a repair option, and I think I seen it once but that was an older version that I was using, I had to pop the disk in the add a couple features missing from the install like microsft photo editor before i discovered  irfan.  I've never used system restore so that's probably not an option. I know avira had an option to create a restore point but it always errored out and wouldn't do it.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

You can do a repair install but only if you can boot to Windows 7. Does the drive boot to Windows 7? 

If the drive boots to Windows 7 in it's original computer you can try doing a repair with Windows Repair. Click the two boxes that will reset file and registry permissions.

If you can boot to Windows 7 I would also back up your activation files with Advanced Token Manager. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Click the backup button and save the folder to a flash drive.

I don't have much experience when it comes to Windows permissions but you can google Takeown and icalcs. These two commands in an elevated command prompt may work if the Windows Repair programs does not. 

Another thing you may want to try first. Enable the hidden Administrator Account. In an elevated command prompt type the following. CMD in the search box > Right click run as Administrator.

net user administrator /active:yes

login to the administrator account. Create a new user account. Does the new user account run normally with regards to permissions?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 December 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#8 Starforce2

Starforce2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

yes, windows boots in all modes, I get the loading windows and the animated window graphic, but instead of a desktop I get a black screen with a mouse pointer. I assume I need a bootable substitute because you usually can't make changes to an active OS due to everything being "in use". The whole issue is getting to a working desktop, which I can't do at the moment. Desktop when haywire after I tried to reset all of C drive (from my computer) using the standard windows permission manager and setting all accounts to full control, which I figured to fix everything....it backfired.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

Do you get a task manager when pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del?

#10 Starforce2

Starforce2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

No, and no right click either. I've tried the clt alt del several times in a row.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

I don't know if this will work but you can give it a try. Boot a Windows 7 install disk. At the window that lists language press shift + F10. At the command prompt type the following

Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice"

This should tell you the letter assigned to your Windows install which should be C:

If you get nothing then type the following commands

diskpart    This will open a diskpart prompt

list volume

See the letter assigned to your Windows partition.

Type exit to close diskpart.

Type the following commands at the command prompt. Substitute your Windows partition letter for X: It will probably be C:

takeown /F X:\ /r /d y      
icacls X:\*.* /reset /t

Be prepared for a long wait. This is basically a nuclear option to reset permissions. If it does not solve anything then we will have to use a bootable disk to enable the hidden Administrator account and hope we can enter windows with it. If not then you will need to pull what data you can and reinstall Windows. Be sure to save the SOFTWARE hive in C:\Windows\System32\config. We can use it to retrieve the Windows key if need be.

#12 Starforce2

Starforce2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

ok, btw, it has been a long time, how do I create a bootable "disk"? I do not know where any of my usb drives are but I do have a memory card reader and a card as well as a number of used sata HD's exceeding 100GB each From computers I've scrapped that should be working and the appropriate USB drive bay for them. Can I use any of this crap to create something to boot and service my C drive from?

Also I think I do have a bootable CD rom somewhere...I forget what it's called, and it's old, it's not windows. I think I know where that is and I can give you the name of it assuming the disk is still ok. I've used it to save a windows disk before. I also have a week off to tear up my room and search for the original install disk. I will also shoot a vid and youtube it so you can all see what I see when I press the restart button.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

Do you have a blank DVD disk? You will need that or a spare USB flash drive to create bootable media from the iso you download using the iso downloader. 

If you have a CD you can create a System Repair Disk from a Windows 7 computer. I think that would work for the takeown and icacls commands.

BestBuy is selling a USB 2 16GB flash drive for $5.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-attache-4-16gb-usb-2-0-flash-drive-black/3789011.p?skuId=3789011

#14 Starforce2

Starforce2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

a camera memory card in a card reader wont do the same thing as the thumb drive? I think it's a 32gb.

I am not sure if my labtop is a writer. If it is I have a DVD.

Edited by Starforce2, 23 December 2016 - 11:13 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

I am not sure. It would depend on if your computer can boot from an SD card. You can try but remember to back up any data on the card first. All modern computers have DVD writers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users