Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP not loading properly ...Would Recovery Bootfix help?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Daale7905

Daale7905

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

I have a HP Pavilion a350n desktop computer with Win XP that doesn't load.  The monitor shows XT Logo startinging to load with the horizontal bar on the bottom of the screen, but then it stops and the monitor goes black or sometimes shows color splattered across the screen and everything stops..

I got into Recovery  and ran chkdsk.  The resulting message was  that there were " 2 or more errors on the volume".  I wondered if running the Bootfix or Master Boot Sector fix in Recovery would be  worthwhile to try.  Would trying either corrupt any of the programs or files in the volume of the hard disk ?

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.     

Edited by hamluis, 22 December 2016 - 12:28 PM.
Moved from Vista to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

The first thing I would do is run sfc /scannow at a command prompt hoping it would fix any corrupted files.  Do you have an XP install disk?

You could do a factory reset after backing up you personal data but all programs would need to be reinstalled. This would only be possible if the recovery partition was intact.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07145

#3 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

Hi JohnC,

Yes I have the XP install disk. Would running the sfc/scannow command run the risk of damaging any of the programs and files on the disk besides the the corrupt ones? Should I try to backup some programs and files before I run it? Is that command run in the Recovery program?

I can access the Safe mode and at least see some files and programs, so I want to be extra careful in not losing at least that limited capability? I'm not sure if I can backup the files in the safe mode however. I'll have to try that out.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

sfc /scannow will only try to repair or replace any corrupt system files it finds. It does not touch your program files or data. It may ask for your install disk during the scan but the install disk must be the same SP as what is installed. If you have XP SP3 on the computer, your install disk must be SP3.

If you can use Safe Mode, you can backup your files to a USB external or flash drive. If the data on the computer is important you should have it backed up to two devices. 

If XP gets to the point it does not load you can always recover the data using a live linux disk or by pulling the drive and attaching it to another computer using a USB adapter. 

Programs themselves are difficult to back up as the settings are located in the registry. If you did a clean install of XP you could not simply copy back your programs folder. The programs would not run as the settings are no longer in the registry or the clean install.

#5 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

All, I really appreciate your very timely responses, suggestions, and comments.

I'm  afraid I've made matters worse than I had yesterday. I first found I couldn't get into the Recovery console from F8 during boot as I did previously to try fsc/scannow. the Recovery console  did come up and gave 3 choices to select, but the numer keys wouldn't select any.  So I tried F10 to get to Recovery thinking it would be an alternative way to get to the 3  choices, which allowed me to previously to do the chkdsk command. The Recovery program that came up with F10  started to transfer files instead of showing the 3 choices I expected, so I turned the computer off....probably not a wise decision.

When I next tried to get into the safe mode again, the monitor showed early in the boot process " windows could not start up ...  Win Root\system32\hal.dll missing  ". I now suspect the Recovery console that I got to from F8, is completely different that Recovery on gets through F10.

I have two cd's marked Recovery (disk one and disk two) and thought I'd see I can boot the system that way. I also have the original XP Operating System CD (Windows XP Professional SP1a) and the XP Service Pak 2 cd.

Any help greatly appreciated.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:38 AM

It seem a complete reinstall is in order. Is the Windows Pro disk the one that came with the computer? Your computer should have a COA sticker on the side with a key. The sticker should say Windows XP Pro. 

Do you need data off the computer?

#7 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

Additional info:

When booting again  and pressing F8, I can get to the Recovery console again, but this time it only gave 2 choices to select.  However, pressing the 1 or 2  keys did  not register at all.  The 2 choices given were:   1. D:\minint    2. D:\I386.  Previously the choices included  3.  C:\ ( something ).

Don't know if this helps or not.  I can't understand why I was able to select choice 3. one time ( and only 1 time) previously when I was able to run 'chkdsk'. Don't know why pressing the 1,2 or 3 keys isn't recognized.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

See my previous post. I think your only option at this point is a clean install. See this post by a BC member regarding a XP Pro SP3 disk. Use the first link.

We can pull any data using a live linux disk.

XP is no longer supported with Security Updates so I strongly advise you do not use it for banking or online purchases. Depending on how much RAM is on the computer you could  install a linux distro and avoid all these problems all together. If you have only 512MB then you will need to stick with XP or use a smaller linux distro like Puppy Linux.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

When I was running XP and had system problems, I used a repair reinstall several times with good success. It will replace all the critical system files from the CD but leave your programs and data. Note that if you have a corrupted partition this will not help. A backup of your data first would be a good idea.

Here is my canned tutorial:

>Insert your XP Cd in the drive; note down your key number, you will be asked for it; reboot.
>The XP installation screen will appear.
>You will see a screen asking you if you would like a fresh install of XP or a repair install as follows:

The following options will appear on the screen:

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:
>To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
>To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
>To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

>>Do NOT choose the Repair Console, Choose the first option (Windows XP setup), press ENTER.

>You will now be asked if you want a Fresh install of Windows, or Repair an existing installation.
*Choose to REPAIR an existing installation. DO NOT CHOOSE A FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS or you will lose all your data and programs. A repair install will replace only the critical system files and leave your data and programs untouched.

The rest is merely follow the prompts. Be aware that the computer will reboot several times so don't be startled when it does-just leave it alone and it will continue on.

**One thing to note: M/Soft set up a booby trap for the uninitiated; when the computer reboots, at the bottom it will say "Press Any Key To Boot From The CDrom" - DON'T DO IT. Just leave it alone, and in a few seconds the installation will continue normally by itself. If you press a key and it starts to boot from the CD it will corrupt the reinstallation, and could necessitate a fresh install so that you lose all your data and programs. I have no idea why M/Soft did that, but they do a lot of things that leave folks scratching their heads so I guess its par for the course.

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 December 2016 - 11:08 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

I thought my XP system cd was one that came with the computer, but the only sticker on the cd cover has my name on it and a date of 3/26/14, so I doubt if it came with the computer when I bought it in 2004. However, I had written on the cover a product key number.  I don't remember when or why I wrote that key number on it.

It would be nice to be able to get some files of the computer if possible,  At the moment I can't think of anything that is of really critical importance.  I have access to other computers ( primarily my Vista laptop) and perhaps could access them if I needed using my Sabrent USB adapter that I've recently been able to get to work with your help.    

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

You can try ranchhand's suggestion but I think the SP version needs to be identical. Ranchhand can confirm that. Your XP Pro disk is SP1a and I would think your at SP3.

Is there a sticker on the side of the computer? It should be a COA sticker with the version of XP. 

If you have a key and disk you could try that for the reinstall. 

If the repair does not work then you can use Parted Magic , part of UBCD, to recover your files to an external drive. Your personal data would be under Documents and Settings in your login name folder.

#12 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

Another quick update:  I discovered why I couldn't select choices from the Recovery console.  The number keys which I was using was on the rightside of the keyboard and the 'num lock' was not is the position to use the number keys.......

Now I can select the two choices ( D:\minint and D:\I386) but the number 3 choice (C:\ something?) no longer shows up. And that was the one that allowed me to run chkdsk.  but never got a chance to run sfc scannow. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:32 AM

Try the repair ranchhand suggested. If that does not work pull your data using the UBCD and PartedMagic I linked to then try a reinstall using your XP Pro disk and key.

#14 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

Also noted that by typing HELP at the D:\minint prompt that the list of commands came up, but the was no sfcscannow command.  However there was no sfc scannow command. It seems to me this is the same list of commands I recall when I was able to get a choice number 3 of C:\ ( something) when I got into Recovery console (F8) previously.

My apologies for taking up so much of your time.  I'll try Ranchhands repair install with the XP cd I have and see if I can get it to work.  

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,587 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

From your first post and the errors chkdsk found it could also be a failing drive but you would need to use PartedMagic to confirm it.

If you can get to the command prompt try the following commands as shown in this guide. It may get you functional again but I doubt it.

http://icrontic.com/article/repair_windows_xp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users