Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 manual updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

For computers that are permanently setup to only work offline or private lans or in parts of the world with no high speed internet and never given a internet connection how douse one get updates for windows7 ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

You can download the updates as stand alone installers to, for example, a memory stick using a computer not subject to these restrictions and install them from the memory stick.

If the problem is one of regionally slow internet speeds then it is just going to take a while you download them, but saving them to a memory stick does mean you only have to download them once !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:01 PM

Ah was wondering about that, you see i went to get my teeth look at one point at a hospital and it seems their all still using winxp or win7 their and none of em for security and privacy reasons are ever connected to the internet, they do have a network but its a closed privet network only and all computer their are on a dedicated internal lan.

Found out about it when i asked some of the staff just out of curseosty if their networked computers were connected to the internet and they answered no.

That lead me to wonder how the IT guys that take care of the hospital computers kept windows up to date, even with out internet if you have networked computers and one single person plugs a infected USB key in to one of the computer the hole 200+ computer network can get infected.

Im shore hospital policy is that your never allowed to use data/disks/dvd/use anything that you don't know were they came from but all it takes is one mistake and its over.

Do you have a link for were to download win7 updates ? last i checked i couldn't find em and i don't know what i was doing wrong because normally im very good at finding things on the net

Ps: imho all hospital in my part of the world should really be using a custom distro of Linux, it would cost less to do it that way and it would be more secure. then windows will ever be, as well the Linux people could use a donation.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

If you know the KB number for the update(s) you are looking for you can just google it, that will usually take you to the update page for each update. MS also have a catalogue database which is searchable. How user friendly it is I don't know, to date I have never needed to use it, but here is the URL -

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

policy is that your never allowed to use data/disks/dvd/use anything that you don't know were they came

I like a joke just as much as the next man and that's as good a joke as I have heard in a long time !  I am sure that is the policy but how do you enforce it ?  Internal LANs need security just as much as internet connected ones. Just google 'hospital computer net infections' to see how many hospital systems have found themselves wide open to malware attacks.

As for Linux being more secure that is at least in part due to its small user base, approximately 3% of the PC market. But as it grows towards 10% it will become attractive to target and then those of us who use Linux will need to start worrying.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

Ya agreed about Linux, and good link "bookmarked"

Looks like a FTP server list of everything, its what iv bin looking for.

Bin searching for a FTP stile data base when it comes to updates for a wile now, doesn't look user friendly though and some updates are a real bomb the kind you really don't want.

Someone should really download all the updates that are worth talking about for win7 and are safe with out the trash like the spyware telemetry topic or the get win10 malware topic for win7 and make an installer and call it SP2, from what i understand theirs like 400+ updates for win7.

That's a lot to download if doing it one at a time.

Thing about Linux though is everything seems to be locked down right out of the box and you can't do anything with out a password in it for the most part.

I find mint is fast to setup too and lock down.

As well when it comes to getting more software at lest in Linux mint you have to use built-in apps that are like a P2P downloader and everything in their is just for mint and checked out before it gets put their, so its safe.

Sadly last i checked most version of Linux you just can't download something and run the installer, that part sucks, going in to geek mode with source code and compiling software then downloading dependency's is less then fun and not user friendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users