Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista & XP compatibility with Office 2000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Daale7905

Daale7905

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

I have an older CD of Office 2000.  I have 2 questions.

1.  should I expect any problems installing Office 2000 on computers with Vista and XP operating systems?

2.  has Microsoft made changes to their Office software so that documents created with 2000 can not be read on later versions of the software and vice versa.?

My memory seems to tell me they they did, which would mean my 2000 version should be probably be tossed away.   I often get email with Microsoft Word attachments that I find cumbersome to try to open, and I don't need a very sophisticated word or spreadsheet program. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

Why not just use this ?

https://www.openoffice.org/

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

Yes, you can install Office 2000 on XP and Vista. 

New versions of Office can read Office 2000 documents but Office 2000 cannot read the newer .docx, .xlsx, and pptx documents.

In addition to what shadow_647 posted your option is to install a Office Program that can read these newer documents. All the following are free. 

WPS Office Free    This program is very compatible with the newer Office documents.

Libre Office

Softmaker Free Office

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 December 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#4 Daale7905

Daale7905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the comments. Guess Office is not worth keeping. Your suggestions to use Open Office or WPS Office Free looks quite attractive. I'll give it a try. Thanks again for your time and comments.Have a
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

#5 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

Hi Daale7905:

I have MS Office 2000 Professional SP3 installed on a Vista SP2 computer, and I am able to open/edit/save files created in MS Office 2007 and higher versions that use Open XML Formats (e.g., docx, .xlsx, etc.) because I installed the Office Compatibility Pack (available for download at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3 for XP and Vista).  See the Microsoft support article How to open new file formats in earlier versions of Microsoft Office for more information.  Here's a sample image from my Word 2000 SP3 showing that I have the ability to open files with the older .doc format (MS Office 2000 and 2003) as well as the newer .docx format (MS Office 2007 and higher):

Attached File  Office 2000 Compatibility Pack docx.png   9.7KB   0 downloads

The bigger problem you might have is that Windows Updates can be incredibly slow these days on on Vista SP2 machines (see <here> for a possible workaround if you are affected these slow updates) and installing 9 years worth of updates to patch Microsoft Office 2000 to Service Pack 3 (SP3) could be difficult.  Microsoft Office 2000 has also reached the end of extended support (i.e., it has not been patched for security vulnerabilities for several years) which makes using this old version of MS Office inherently risky.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.1.0 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 22 December 2016 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users