Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer repairing permissions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jouken

Jouken

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

Tried installing printer driver software (Gutenprint). There was some message, that might have been about "software for the printer was installed incorrectly", then asked if I want to repair the thing, I agreed and it started repairing permissions. In the end it still didn't properly work.

The question I have is - what does repairing permissions mean in this context? I read articles and definitions and don't get it in this context. Did it mean the installer simply moved the driver under Mac's command or something? Normal Mac thing, nothing to worry about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:44 PM

File permissions are basically settings that tell the OS which "users" can read, write, modify, etc files, run applications, etc. "Users" can be actual user accounts as well as "OS system" related accounts (such as "root" or "_spotlight", etc). Repairing permissions is a very typical macOS "fix" for some problems.

#3 Jouken

Jouken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

File permissions are basically settings that tell the OS which "users" can read, write, modify, etc files, run applications, etc. "Users" can be actual user accounts as well as "OS system" related accounts (such as "root" or "_spotlight", etc). Repairing permissions is a very typical macOS "fix" for some problems.

Thank you! So during installation process, this was just Mac's way of making new software its own?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

Thank you! So during installation process, this was just Mac's way of making new software its own?

In a way, yes.

#5 Jouken

Jouken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

In a way, yes.

I see, a so a natural Mac process, nothing to pay attention to?

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

In a way, yes.

yes

#7 Jouken

Jouken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

In a way, yes.

yes

Thank you for clarifying! If it's nothing to worry about, I won't pay any attention to this. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users