Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary Drive Not Found 0 & 1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 freshfish

freshfish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

Hello,

Dell Dimension 8300, 3.0 Ghz. Windows XP, 2.5 GB RAM, GeForce 256 RAM, Samsung DVD Rom

I reformatted my hard drive so I could create partitions and clean up 3 years of stuff. I also was adding RAM and a new graphics cards.

DVD Rom worked fine before.
After reformat and installation of Windows XP (it was an older version that came with the Dell in 03) I placed a DVD in the drive and it spun but did nothing. So, I downloaded Dell's driver for the Samsung (something I had to put on a floppy). Rebooted with the floppy but the process kept hanging - after that, the DVD Rom is not being recognized.

Now when I boot, I get the error:

Secondary Drive Not Found 0
Secondary Drive Not Found 1

So, I press F1 and everything loads normal.

In the BIOS (updated to latest version) in the boot device sequence section, the CD Rom states its not installed but its working fine

I have updated XP to SP2 and downloaded all the new drivers I can think of. It still wont see it.

Please advise
Thank you in advance!

Edited by freshfish, 28 August 2006 - 10:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freshfish

freshfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

..bump, please help :thumbsup:

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

When you say you press F1 and everything loads as normal, do you mean the DVD drive works also?

What is the Model Number of your DVD_ROM drive, the Dell website lists several Samsung models for the Dimension 8300?

Have you flashed the BIOS with the latest version? If so, was it successful?

Have you reset the BIOS settings to default?

#4 freshfish

freshfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:15 AM

Sorry for not clarifying...

When I hit F1, XP loads normally and the hard drive and CD Rom are working fine...the DVD is not found and does not open when I press the eject button. I tried using that little hole (with a paper clip) to open it and that did not work either.

The DVD Rom is the Samsung SD-616T

It ran when after I did the clean install but it was not reading the Data DVD I placed in the tray. After I took it out and tried to update the drivers, it would no longer work.

I dont know if its worth mentioning, but the DVD Rom had NO problems for the past 3 years and has worked great...in fact, I have had NO hardware problems luckily...knock on wood, etc :thumbsup:

Thanks again

#5 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:42 AM

curious, is it showing in diskmgmt.msc, are there any yellow blobs in devmgmt.cpl, how did you install XP if the drive didn't work? I probably can not help but please answer.
everyday is a gift

#6 freshfish

freshfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:28 AM

I dont know what "diskmgmt.msc, are there any yellow blobs in devmgmt.cpl" means...not sure how to access those (maybe through the run console)?

I installed XP using the CD Rom drive that is still working. My system just cant see the DVD Rom and I get the above mentioned error

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

You said that when you press the button on the drive, it didn't open. Have you checked the power connector? Just pull it out, give it a blow or two with some canned air and securly return it to the socket.

Could be all you woes are the result of a loose or dusty power connector.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:26 PM

As for using the little hole to eject the disk tray, on some drives you really have to push, on others you need to go pretty deep into the hole, and still on others you need to jimmy it a little to find the release mechanism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users