Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iphone 5s..acessing pics on Linux mint 18 PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:55 PM

Iphone 5s

version 10.2(14C92)

Works like a dream...most of the time...

Attach it via usb cable to my pc...running linux mint 18

Immediately asked...'do you trust this pc'

I answer in the affirmative

I double click on the iphone icon....it opens and tells me 'the media contains digital photos.....and on the other side of that windows says...'open pix photo importing tool'....and has a folder names 'store_00010002' further down the window....(see attached screenshot)

Clicking on open pix importer etc returnsan empty box...nothing to import ...

Help.

I need a quicker, easier way to acess my pics without emailing them to myself then saving them from the email etc etc etc

9rh8om.jpg

1zecso8.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

See if the following helps:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-iphone-6.html

That page implies the author could not get Mint Linux 17 to work with an iPhone 6. Admittedly, the article is more than a year old, so things could always change.

At the end of the day, iOS is not officially supported to work with Linux, so you likely will always have issues. This is not to say that you might not find ways to make it work, but it will be work getting it to work...pun intended.

The other option is to use a cloud service like Dropbox to get your photos off the iPhone. Dropbox does appear to have Linux clients. And the Dropbox app on an iPhone can be set to automatically backup all the photos in the Camera Roll on your iPhone. Then if the Linux Dropbox client works for you, the photos should automatically sync from the iPhone to your Dropbox account and then from the Dropbox servers to your computer running Linux. Even if the client does not work, you should still be able to log into your Dropbox account by way of a webpage and download the photos that way. Other cloud services such as Box, Google Drive, etc will likely work as well, but I only have direct experience with Dropbox's photo backup functions.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:13 AM

Put dropbox on my phone and also on Linux.

It appears if I have taken a pic on my phone and wish to upload it to BC,..on the PHONE.... I hit the + button...select that pic...hit on upload.

It then appears on my PC on the dropbox site...i need to double click on the pic to open it....then right click and 'save as'....it ends up on my desktop......and is then easy to attach it where ever via tinypic...

Hopefully someone else having dramas with an iphone will see this and at least know that it works.

2v92dzq.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:09 AM

In the iOS Dropbox app, go to Setting (gear icon in upper left corner). In the Dropbox Settings, turn on Camera Upload. This will result in all photos added to the Camera Roll automatically being uploaded to Dropbox.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:13 AM

Done !!

Thank you for your help !

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

Glad I could be of some help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users