Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rmareg

Rmareg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

Simple question, I'd like to know if I need to do something special to transfer my system harddrive form this pc to a new 1 without loosing any configuration (e-mail, internet conn, etc.....)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Rmareg Posted Image
Moving Files and Settings to a New PC.
And These instructions will help you get the F.A.S.T. data onto a CD or a USB memory stick,for transfer to your new computer.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

I think he was talking of actually physically taking out the hardrive from his old computer and putting it in his new one.

This is actually not really recommended because when you installed windows it programmed all it's drivers, ect... for the old computer so just plugging it in will not really work since it won't really know what to do with your new hardware.

One idea could be get a new hardrive and do like TMacK said or you could back up all your files, write down youre isp info and stuff onto a DVD or some cds (don't try floppies you will ned ALOT :thumbsup:) or an external hardrive if you have one and once you have everthing backed up, format the drive then install it into the new computer and reinstall windows and then transfer all your stuff back.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

I've only done this with similar hardware (Asus mobo to Asus mobo, nVidia vid card to nVidia vid card, W-D hard drive to W-D hard drive, P4 CPU to P4 CPU, etc) and it worked well.

Basically there's a couple of ways to do this:
1) Remove all the hardware that will change and swap the drive without rebooting. This will let Windows recognize and install drivers for the new hardware hopefully without it throwing a fit and crashing (I didn't do this)
2) Just swap the drive and run a repair install before trying to boot. (I didn't do this)
3) Follow the instructions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html (I did this and it worked for me).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

Some interesting links about this:
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009290.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314082
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Rmareg

Rmareg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

Thank you all. I'll get a :thumbsup: new HD so that way i'll be sure lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users