Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help with upgrading my PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MidnightCity089

MidnightCity089

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

Hello, I'm Sophie.

I would like to upgrade my PC and I have a tiny bit of knowledge about computers, although I would like to learn a lot more.

I have had the same desktop PC for about 2 - 3 years and I was wondering if I should buy a whole new PC from scratch and build it myself, or if I could salvage any parts of my current PC. I would like to use my PC for gaming but the performance isn't great. So I mostly use my PS4 or my Xbox one.

Here is the info of my current PC:

- Dell Inspiron 570
- 4.00 GB RAM
- AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor 2.80 GHz
- Windows 10 (I preferred Windows 7)
- 64-bit operating system
- AMD Radeon HD 5450 graphics card

Any help is much appreciated, also I'm not sure if I have put this in the right topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

Well, first of all this is in the wrong forum section - it should be in the System Building & Upgrading section but no biggie, one of the admins will probably move it there so don't worry. In terms of games, what do you play usually and what is your budget?

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2016 - 03:07 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

I've found that when it comes time to build a new machine there is very little I am able to move from my old machine, normally just the drives.  So, I find a purpose for the old machine, Media Player, M.A.M.E. box, Plex Server, router, or whatever.

Normally the CPU socket is different, the video socket is different, the RAM is different, once you have to replace those you have a machine left over.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

Dout the video card wouldn't work out on anything new, only socket that are older and wouldn't work is AGP slot, older still was PCI then ISA, now its all PCI-E 16x for video cards, but i know what you mean and your right, chances are just the hdd is really worth moving over to a newer system and the video card is probably slow so would have to be replaced in any case.

lot of gaming seems to come down to the video card of late, getting something newer and 2x your ram might be the way to go for cheap vs changing the hole system depends what games you play and 4gigs ram in win10 is low for gaming.

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:54 AM

Dout the video card wouldn't work out on anything new, only socket that are older and wouldn't work is AGP slot, older still was PCI then ISA, now its all PCI-E 16x for video cards, but i know what you mean and your right, chances are just the hdd is really worth moving over to a newer system and the video card is probably slow so would have to be replaced in any case.

lot of gaming seems to come down to the video card of late, getting something newer and 2x your ram might be the way to go for cheap vs changing the hole system depends what games you play and 4gigs ram in win10 is low for gaming.

I think that most computers would be powerful enough to beat her old one. Even the intel integrated graphics will beat her GPU by an order of magnitude. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-HD-530-Desktop-Skylake-vs-AMD-Radeon-HD-5450/m33102vsm7719

For the OP, building isn't always better than buying a PC. As a general rule, if your budget is over £600 - £700 then building one is better value. Anything below that, the savings are either breaking even or even a loss depending on where you look. For example, if you had a budget of £500 then you could either build this (salvage some parts from your old pc) https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/T28pQV or go here and buy this https://www.palicomp.co.uk/amd-avenger-kav3. The latter is much better value if you compare them. However, if your budget is much higher then it may be worth building your own as you have full control as to where your budget goes.

Edited by Planemaster2, 22 December 2016 - 05:02 AM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:51 AM

WOW didn't know the video card was that bad, didn't check benchmarks, for shoure then upgrade video card and ram for a quick fix on the cheap, iv seen geforce 560TI go for like $60 used, i remember someone getting one way back when and they payed like $600 for it.

16gigs ram would be even better if the mobo can take it.

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:14 AM

Sophie are you capable of building your own PC? If not sometimes a pre-built is fine as long as you get the right one (with he right power supply and a decent motherboard etc.) A lot of techsupport type forums will try to persuade you away from a pre-built but if you know what you are doing to get good advice you can also get a decent pre-built. 

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

I'd be curious to see OP's response to what games are intended to be played...since the game requirements/recommendations should play a part in any decisions that may be made regarding hardware changes.

Louis

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

I agree but the resolution the games would be played at are also very important as well. For example 1680x1050, 1920x1080, or 2K-4K.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users