Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Windows 8.1 for my low end laptop?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Reeshabh

Reeshabh

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

Hello, I read somewhere that for PCs with 3 gigs of ram, should get 32 bit Windows 8.1 on it and higher should go for 64 bit? Is it right. I am fed up of Windows 10 on my laptop anyways. That's why.

Processor

========

Processor- Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz

Manufacturer- Intel

Speed- 2.4 GHz

Number of Cores- 2

Memory

=======

RAM 3.0 GB

Video Card

=========

Video Card- Intel® HD Graphics

Manufacturer- Intel

Chipset- Intel® HD Graphics

Dedicated Memory- 64 MB

Total Memory- 1.5 GB

Operating System (Current)

===============

Operating System- Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

Service Pack- 0

Size 64-bit

Edition-Pro

Version 10.0.14393

Locale 4009

Hard Drive

=========

Seagate Momentus 5400.6 ST9320325AS

320GB

5400 RPM

8MB Cache

SATA 3.0Gb/s

2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

PCs with 3 gigs of ram, should get 32 bit Windows 8.1 on it and higher should go for 64 bit?

That is not strictly correct, or at least doesn't necessarily follow.

Motherboards are built with either 32 or 64 bit architecture. If you have a 64 bit system it will run 32 bit software but you would be better with a 64 bit OS. A 32 bit system cannot run 64 bit software.

It is possible you have been confused by the memory limitation of a 32 bit OS. The maximum amount of memory a 32 bit computer can address, or use, is about 3.7GB, so the effective maximum installed RAM is 4GB. If you install more than 4GB in a 32 bit system you are just wasting money. A 64 bit system can address vastly more memory than this. I cannot remember the exact figure but it is more RAM than either of us could afford !

As a consequence of this, if you have a laptop with less then 4GB of RAM installed it probably has a 32 bit OS but not necessarily. However it is easy to find out which you have - 'Win key+X - Control panel - System'. Just about smack in the middle of the screen that comes up you will see which system you have.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users