Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen color off.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rodjr

rodjr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:12 AM

Have a HP G62 laptop, video suddenly is bad on screen, tried updating drivers and even reinstalled Windows 10, still bad. Connected to tv via hdmi looks fine.

Attached File  IMG_5581.JPG   90.74KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:01 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Any chance this machine is still under warranty?  If so, I'd contact HP to have the panel replaced since updating the video drivers didn't fix the issue.  Though I've never seen a panel fail on a color before, used to be common on CRT monitors.

This page has a possible fix for you.

#3 rodjr

rodjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

This pc is out of warranty a least several years ago. Somewhere I read that it might be a ribbon cable to the lcd.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

I have had a fairly hard look at your screenshot and I don't believe it is either a screen or cable problem. Screen failures usually result in either complete failure or blotchy patches of discolouration although there are many other forms of screen failure. Similarly for a cable problem - all the screen data would suffer the same defect, and parts of your screen look perfect.

If I read your screen correctly you are running Firefox. while much of the screen is that wonderful green colour parts of it are not. The menu and tab bars are gray and the vertical slider is also not green. Also, apart from the green blotches on the woman's face the rest of her face looks acceptably close to what the monitor shows.

As a first step I suggest completely uninstalling and re-installing Firefox with a re-boot in between as I think it is a Firefox problem. You can always back up your bookmarks so as not to lose them - 'Bookmarks - Show all - Import and backup'. Certainly a cheaper and simpler possible cure than dismantling your laptop to replace either a screen or its connectiing cable !

You don't say if this is happening with any other browser or indeed any other application. If it is just your browser then uninstall and re-install it.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 rodjr

rodjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

Unfortunately its not just the browser, even the desktop background is discolored. Let me know if there is some other picture that would help. Thanks

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

Is the resolution set to the panel resolution?  I only ask this because of the blotches on her face.  It may be an issue with the video hardware itself.

When you did the Windows 10 reinstall was the color an issue the whole time?  If so, that eliminates the driver and points to a hardware issue.

Edited by Kilroy, 22 December 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#7 rodjr

rodjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

The max is set to 1366x768. I did the fresh install hoping to get rid of my issue, although it did not help. Can't figure out why it looks great attached to my tv via hdmi.

#8 Deichkroete

Deichkroete

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:13 AM

I actually seem to have the same problem. I don't want to hijack your post, so please tell me if I should open my own, but it seems the problems might be related?

My configuration: pc-monitor in the background connected to graphics card via dvi, tv in the foreground connected via hdmi. It is possible for me to switch the "error". If I fiddle around with the settings of "screen mirroring/dublication" sometimes it's the other way around. The TV is yellow and the monitor looks perfect. Until now everything was normal and both screens looked fine simultaneously. I changed the tv cable and used a different graphics card port. Didn't change a thing. This is what it looks like for me at the moment.

Attached Files

#9 rodjr

rodjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

Still trying to figure this out.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic