Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Earbuds on Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

Hello bc enthusiasts, I wanted to use these new used Samsung Earbuds on my Laptop.  I'm quite sure they are for a phone but thought they would work just the same because it fitted into the Socket.  Now the sound on Laptop is all crackly, from the Speakers and from the Earbuds.  Did this damage my Laptop Soundcard? and if so is something like this expensive to fix?  This is not one of my more Important Laptops, but I would like to know if I should not do this again in another laptop?

Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2016 - 11:44 AM.
Moved from Internal to External Hardware - Hamluis.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

The only thing I could possibly think of is that the head phone jack is designed to only support a stereo connector and the ear buds are a longer stereo plus microphone connector and by using it it pushed something back in the sound card that is causing your issue.  If it is like most laptops it is built onto the system board which would have to be replaced to fix the issue.

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

I had the exact same problem with my In-ear headphones. The Over ear headphones that were bundled with my PC were really uncomfortable so I used my in-ear ones instead. Unfortunately, they became all crackly at lower frequencies so I opted into buying a new set of headphones which didn't squish my head. I think Kilroy is right on this so you will either have to use the laptops speakers or buy a new set of headphones designed for PC use.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

The only thing I could possibly think of is that the head phone jack is designed to only support a stereo connector and the ear buds are a longer stereo plus microphone connector and by using it it pushed something back in the sound card that is causing your issue.  If it is like most laptops it is built onto the system board which would have to be replaced to fix the issue.

That was a good though Kilroy, so I compared to my old ones that are designed for pc's and they are both the same length.  The Earbud one(the new one) has Three notched steps/grooves in it and the Headset I bought just for computers has Two Steps on it.  Don't know if this matters.  The only reason I even tried it was, it is much nicer than the cheapo 10.00 unit I bought years ago.  I'll not put it in another pc until am certian it is not an issue.  I did research a little but didn't get to far.  It seems as though the ones for Phones are in fact different and not suppposed to be used on a pc Doh! should have known that?  Well luckily this is a hand me down laptop that used to run Vista, and it an't in the best of shape.  Thanks guys, pcpunk.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

I suppose they all vary slightly , and same with laptops , but id assume most would be a universal fitting , either mono / stereo , where as most these days are stereo.

Dunno but for standard Earbuds and Head Phones ive never had any issues on my PCs or HPG6 Lappy which i use more than others.

I have 2 earbuds - one is Beats from Mobile HTC M7 and a Mobile LG { Found } and Cheap Kmart HeadSet , and they all work on Laptop with no issues.

I do remember trying Mic/Single Ear Bud for testing sound on Pc front jacks and one worked , another didnt , so i turfed the dud.

In the end , inserting anything carefully in any jack with no force is good practice , if it doesnt work ? bin it.

My 3 that work fine - http://imgur.com/a/FSP7u

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Havachat!  I need to learn enough to stop breaking things LOL.  I was sure the sound was good before I plugged in those Samsung Earbuds, I checked all systems before I did this.  I'm pretty sure when I was researching it others experienced similar issues, but you never know for sure what folks are reporting to be true.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users