Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still Have Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kmands

kmands

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:29 AM

Recently dealt with Old Timer concerning same topic. Thought things were resolved, but no such luck. Sometimes will have to shut down during boot 2 or 3 times. Eventually, system goes thru file check and boots. Most recently noted some of the screens I was getting during an unsuccessful boot attempts. One said "pagefile.sys contains nonvalid link. Size of pagefile.sys is not valid." Most recently it was "A process or thread critical to system operation has unexpectedly exited" then registers "STOP:0X000000F4 (0x00000003 0x86757998 0x8675730C 0X805F9F88)" followed by "Beginning dump of physical memory." I turned off the computer. Subsequent boot succeeded. Used computer for over a day (no shutoff) and was using various programs (MS Word, Excel, Photoshop, MS Streets & Trips, AOL, Internet Explorer, Google Earth - maybe others) all successfully and without incident. Then I exited all programs, and ran a virus check with Zone Labs (recently purchased and installed). Virus check revealed a clean slate. Minimized Zone Labs (only program left open) and left for a while. When I returned, mouse was inoperable (Logitech cordless), so I tried resetting the mouse with the receiver, to no avail. Shut down (just turned it off) and booted twice to get system up. Second boot was successful, and now I am using the computer. As I mentioned to Old Timer, I have gotten a Broken Raid indications a few times, but not since corresponding with him/her recently. I have no further problems with adware, and with Zone Labs Firewall, I doubt much spyware is getting in, and it indicates numerous incidents of inbound/outbound transmissions being blocked.

I feel that I have a booger imbedded and well hidden in the operating sytem, or possibly an erratic hard drive. But hard drive problems seem unlikely as, once system is running, everything is fine - at least for a while - and I never get the broken raid or any other indication of a hardware problem once system is up. Are there other programs I can run to create a log which might reveal the culprit? Or am I just better off to reinstall Windows XP and start from scratch? I have my files well backed up on another (older) computer, so if a reinstall is necessary, I am probably OK - so long as the other computer hangs in. I do have about 22 Gig of files, so I would prefer not to reinstall unless it is really necessary. Sorry this is so long, but maybe too much info is better than not enough. I hope you see it that way too. Anyway, thanks for your time!

Here is my most recent HiJackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:19:56 AM, on 8/28/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134780918\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Steganos Password Manager 7\SPM7.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0b\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagIt32.exe
C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\TSCHelp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/def.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/def...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/def...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: AOLTBSearch Class - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.0\aoltb.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
N3 - Netscape 7: # Mozilla User Preferences

/* Do not edit this file.
* If you make changes to this file while the browser is running,
* the changes will be overwritten when the browser exits.
* To make a manual change to preferences, you can visit the URL about:config
* For more information, see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
*/

user_pref("aim.session.finishedwizard", true);
user_pref("aim.session.firsttime", false);
user_pref("aim.session.latestaimscreenname", "isc7butch");
user_pref("aim.session.screenname", "isc7butch");
user_pref("browser.activation.checkedNNFlag", true);
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.added_static_root", true);
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://wwww.ChristianLibrary.org");
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "rv:1.7.2");
user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.bookmarks", true);
user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.mailPT", true);
user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.mynetscape", false);
user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutt
O2 - BHO: HelperObject Class - {00C6482D-C502-44C8-8409-FCE54AD9C208} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagItBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\ISCNET~1.COM\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: SnagIt - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagItIEAddin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.0\aoltb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1134780918\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE2] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SPM7] "C:\Program Files\Steganos Password Manager 7\SPM7.exe" -boot
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0b\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: SnagIt 8.lnk = C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagIt32.exe
O4 - Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0b\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SnagIt 8.lnk = C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagIt32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\ISCnetwork.com\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\npjpi142_06.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\ISCnetwork.com\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\npjpi142_06.dll
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {3369AF0D-62E9-4bda-8103-B4C75499B578} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 3.0\aoltb.dll
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) -
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

Hello kmands and welcome back. The log is clean. I really do not think this is a malware issue. The error code of F4 points to a bad paging space and it would make sense with the other symptoms you are describing. This could be caused by either a corrupt file or a drive that is going bad.

I would post a question in the hardware forum and have them run a few tests on the drive. If you want to chek a few things out yourself first here are a few suggestions:

- check at the computer manufacturers site to see if there are any bios updates available for the computer.
- try setting the paging file to 0 bytes and see if it makes a difference. If so, the the paging file (or space) was corrupt. Set it back to its original size and see what happens.
- go to the website for the drive manufacturer and see if there is a disk diagnostic tool available for the drives. Most manufaturers have these available for download from their site. Run the tool to verify that the drives are operating properly.
- also, while at the drive manufacturers website check and see if there are any driver updates available for those specific drives.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users