Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell laptop no product key?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:49 AM

Hey guys, this machine came with win7 but the owner had opted for the free win10 upgrade. Now it's too far gone with viruses and needs an OS reload, I tried running produkey to see if it will show the win10 license but when I run the produkey app, it dissapears from the produkey folder. What can I do here please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:35 AM

Once you have installed Windows 10 the digital license will be recognized if or when you reinstall the operating system.  This type of product key is new starting with Windows 10.  Just reinstall the operating system and Microsoft will recognize your installation as being valid.

If you need the installation media you can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

Just follow the instructions and you will have your installation media.

Edited by dc3, 21 December 2016 - 08:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 miklo1904

miklo1904

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:46 AM

heres where to get the Win 10 iso and I posted this just in case you couldn't find it

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

Thanks guys. After I had created the win10 disk and tried it, it was not booting then the Recovery option suddenly showed, I didn;t even think that there would be a recovery option with the upgrade so sorry about that. Anyway, i would like to look into why the disc didn't boot, this is a screenshot of the folder on the disk, it is correct please or is there a way for me to know for sure if this disk is bootable?

Screenshot_4_zpsptimx3zw.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

You need to change the boot order in the BIOS to reflect the type of installation media you are using.  Example:  With a DVD disc make the optical drive the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd the second device.  With a flash drive, make a USB device the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd the second device.

When the computer starts with the installation media connected you will receive a message telling you to press any key to continue.  This will let you know that the computer is booting from the installation media.

Edited by dc3, 21 December 2016 - 12:47 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

I am aware of that and had done that a few times but I figure it should be the disc issue because I tried a win7 disc and that works.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

What's the model of the computer? Most have boot menus you can access by tapping a key at boot. Maybe you had a bad burn but the folders look right.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Just to answer your original question the key is probably under the battery.

#9 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hey guys, this machine came with win7 but the owner had opted for the free win10 upgrade. Now it's too far gone with viruses and needs an OS reload, I tried running produkey to see if it will show the win10 license but when I run the produkey app, it dissapears from the produkey folder. What can I do here please?

Spoiler

I am aware of that and had done that a few times but I figure it should be the disc issue because I tried a win7 disc and that works.

If you use Media Creation Tool, then it is definitely not a disk error. 

Edited by kaljukass, 21 December 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Don't have the model number right now as it's reinstalling windows. Not understanding why a product key would be under the battery since this is a win7 pc?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

I meant what OEM. I guess I should have looked at the title of the thread.  :oopsign:

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 December 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

Are your guys referring to the product key for win 10 or win7? If win7, the sticker is there as normal but since this was upgraded to win10 there won't be any reference anywhere to win10 to my knowledge.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

Which operating system is currently installed?

Is it activated?  If you aren't sure click/tap on This PC in the start menu, then select Properties.  This will show you which operating system is installed and if it is activated.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

Just to answer your original question the key is probably under the battery.

That depends on the model and manufacturer.

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

Yes, the pc has been reset so win10 is installed and activated. In a while I will restart this pc I am on to see if it will boot the created win10 disk, get back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users