Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crypt0l0cker. Is it gone? Decrypt encrypted files?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jannica

Jannica

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

I run windows 10 on my pc. Yesterday I got an email infected with Crypt0l0cker. I am usually very cautious about opening emails and files in them, but this time I was fooled since I was expecting that kind of message. They were lucky and I was unlucky. 

So, as it goes, all my files are encrypted. I´ve tried gooling nd asking for help anywhere I could come up with. 

I have ran in secure mode (?) Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner and Hitmanpro. I amnot sure if the virus itself is gone now. No program said like "we fould this horrible thing here" and removed or did not remove it, they just ran ands finished up. 

I can create and save new files now, and I am not sur if that is because i´s gone, or if I could have done that the seconmd after installing the virus too. 

I have tried Kasperskys RannohDecryptor, but nothing happens, even if providing it with an original file that I got from an email. (hoping that it is the same version of the file that I got encrypted, but how can I be sure) At the end nothing happens. 

I have an external disk that I disconnected when I found the virus,b ut I guess it is infected too. My clouds seems to be infected too, and I got the ransonmnote even on my phone when I log into clouds, so I could not find any clean copies there. 

Two questions here, How to be sure the malware is really really gone? And please is there a way to save my files?

Or??? Do I have to pay to at least have e chance of recoveringe something?

I do not have a lot of money, so if I have to buy applications, somenone really needs to be sure it works. 

Downloaded Data Recovery Pro, but from what I coud see, it would not be able to retreive very many important files, so I didn´t pay them to do that. 

Hopeful, or not so much, but trying to be.... Help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:54 PM

Most crypto malware ransomware is typically programmed to automatically remove itself...the malicious files responsible for the infection...after the encrypting is done since they are no longer needed. The encrypted files do not contain malicious code so they are safe. Unfortunately, most victims do not realize they have been infected until the ransomware displays the ransom note and the files have already been encrypted. In some cases there may be no ransom note and discovery only occurs at a later time when attempting to open an encrypted file. As such, they don't know how long the malware was on the system before being alerted or if other malware was downloaded and installed along with the ransomware. If other malware was involved it could still be present so be sure to perform full scans with your anti-virus. Disinfection will not help with decryption of any files affected by the ransomware.

If your antivirus did not detect and remove anything, additional scans should be performed with other security programs like Malwarebytes 3.0, HitmanPro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware. You can also supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan...ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.

Any files that are encrypted with Crypt0L0cker (TorrentLocker) will have the .encrypted or .enc extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT_INSTRUCTIONS.TXT, DECRYPT_INSTRUCTIONS.HTML, INSTRUCCIONES_DESCIFRADO.HTML, How_To_Recover_Files.txt, How_To_Restore_Files.txt and HOW_TO_RESTORE_FILES.HTML as explained here. The newest variant of Crypt0L0cker appends a random 6 character extension.

A repository of all current knowledge regarding Crypt0L0cker (TorrentLocker) is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this topic: TorrentLocker & Crypt0L0cker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Many victims have reported that Dr.Web was able to assist them with decrypting files...see here.
Updated policy from Dr.Web (11/25/15): Free file decryption assistance only for PCs protected by Dr.Web at the moment of infectionIf you're not a licensed user for a Dr.Web product you will have to pay for their services.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can post comments, ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.Rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the above support topic discussion...it includes experiences by experts, a variety of IT consultants, end users and company reps who have been affected by ransomware infections. To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users