Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaned my laptop screen with spirit and formed a stain. Will this go?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 realnsleo

realnsleo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

Hi everyone. I cleaned my laptop screen with methylated spirit and some of it spilled on the left side. I followed all instructions by unplugging the power cord, removing the battery and lying the computer on the side and leaving it in rice for 48 hours. However, when I turned it on, everything is working fine except for a dark stain in the bottom left side of the screen. Will this go away with time? Should I consider taking it for repair? Is it a serious problem as it bothers me. Thank you for your help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:44 AM

It's hard to tell from the image, but it seems like the methylated spirit damaged the coating on the screen. Do you know if it has an anti-reflective coating on it? The stuff is pretty corrosive but it usually won't cause issues in very minute quantities but it remains a solvent. I don't think it actually damaged the LCD screen behind it but rather the glass's top layer of whatever it is, likely plastic film.

Sorry to see this happen to you, I am only guessing, but it would probably require an RMA to replace. I know this is not the advice you need right now, but as final note on cleaning, I prefer to use 70% isopropanol rubbing alcohol myself. Requires a bit more scrubbing but also cuts through all the grime while being a disinfectant and evaporates.

#3 realnsleo

realnsleo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:00 AM

Oh man, yep. Probably not the advice I needed at this point. But thank you for the response and this has been a very harsh lesson learned. I will use more preferred cleaning methods the next time. I think I will continue using the laptop as it is, the damage is not really that bad as I think. 

Thank you otherwise :) I appreciate it.

Edited by hamluis, 22 December 2016 - 12:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users