My brother has been having serious issues with his desktop PC. It is about 1 year old with pretty nice hardware. Windows 10. He games a lot and I think he might have tried to pirate a game and gotten a serious infection in the process. Here are the symptoms:
- Several programs are disabled; cannot open at all or give error messages when trying.
- Settings does not work - no popups, no error messages, just does not open no matter what I try (and I tried about 7 different ways). It does open in Safe Mode though, but some functions do not work.
- Can open but cannot use any internet browsers - tried chrome and explorer. After opening they freeze and I must kill with task manager.
- Alt + Ctrl + Delete makes screen go black. Pressing escape key returns it to desktop.
- The windows key and button do not work or open anything.
- I cannot use the mouse to click anything on roughly the bottom 40% of the entire screen. The toolbar does work though. I am usually able to get around this by dragging windows to the top or clicking something high then using arrow keys to move to what I need to click. Very difficult to navigate though.
- Notification center does not open.
- Cannot use system restore, system recovery, or anything else that would revert PC. They all start but stop shortly after, saying the PC was not restored/recovered, no changes made, etc.
When I try to open something that requires administrator privileges, it changes to a blank, dim screen with the wallpaper in the background, but no window pops up allowing me to accept or decline. There is only 1 user account on this PC.
That's all I can think of for now for symptoms. Here is what I have tried to fix it:
Windows Defender. Updated definitions, then did quick and full scans. On both, the bar stopped moving forward (though # of scanned files kept increasing) about 1cm in. In safe mode, I did a quick scan and it reported no threats. Have not done a full scan in safe mode yet.
- System Restore. I have tried every restore point. Each starts the process but stops quickly after, saying an error occurred and no changed were made.
- Windows Recovery. Same thing as system restore.
- Task Manager. I have gone down the list of all running processes and was not able to identify any that seemed out of place. I am no expert here though. I simply Googled the name of each to see whether it was considered a legitimate program or not.
I would really appreciate any help from anybody! I am willing to try anything at this point. My brother says he is ready to do a full system wipe if it means getting his PC back. Please let me know if more information is needed. Thanks.
Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2016 - 09:41 AM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Am I Infected - Hamluis.