Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer off for 9 months, updated, constant crashes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 outsideyourworld

outsideyourworld

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:45 AM

Hey all. I've never really had problems with my system since I bought it in 2010'ish. But I went traveling in February, and just got back a week ago. So I vacuumed the tower out, ran windows update, driver booster, etc. Everything seemed good, except one windows "cumulative update."  A couple days later a bunch of my system files were corrupted. I couldn't open any folders, exes, videos, but I could still play games, browse the net, etc.... Whenever I attempted to open a file folder the screen would flash black for a second, then nothing. 

I couldn't solve the issue (couldn't run a repair or anything) so today I ran a fresh windows 10 install. That seemed to solve it. But a few hours later I got a BSOD because there was something wrong with AMDSBS.SYS. I'm an idiot and didn't write down the error code or any specifics. Sorry. I ran a repair off a flash drive copy of windows 10 which seemed to fix THAT, but then I got a NTFS.SYS (something like that?) error. When trying to log in to my account the account page was black, and the cursor was only visible when moving the mouse. It was just flickering and nothing else. 

I was worse off than before so I just... reinstalled windows again :/ 

So I have checked the health of my Vertex 460 SSD, which my OS is on, and it is apparently 95% healthy. I checked RAM health, but apparently that's also healthy... I really have no idea what is going on. 

OS Windows 10 x64
· Original: Windows 7
· OS was bought from the retailer but they installed it.
· 6 years. HDD's are a couple years old.
· 1 day

· CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1050T
· Video Card: 3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 280x
· MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
· Power Supply: XFX 650W XXX Edition Single Rail Modular ATX Power Supply ATX12V 52A 24PIN 80PLUS Bronze

"Perfmon /report" was stuck for 10 mins so I don't think it was working?  :/

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:53 AM

DO NOT VACUUM inside a computer - the wand collects static electricity and can damage the components inside the case.

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

If all of that passes, then try this procedure to try and identify the problem(s):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

Your UEFI/BIOS (version FD) dates from 2010.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 14393 (1607) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

F: drive only has about 2% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

Beyond that, please finish up the hardware diagnostics and let us know the results.
Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 outsideyourworld

outsideyourworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

Hey thanks for the reply. So this is what I did so far:

-Updated BIOS successfully
-Ran Memtest86 without issue from boot disc
- "Perfmon /report" worked this time and i'll attach results
-Ran FurMark without any issues
-Currently running Prime95

Will update when i've completed a few more things and there's a problem, I suppose. 

Attached Files

#4 outsideyourworld

outsideyourworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

Back to some familiar errors.

Today started off with every application randomly freezing for 5 - 10 seconds, then working again. Then whenever I opened Chrome I got an error for "apphelp.dll"  (0xc000007b) 

Tried to reinstall chrome, I get " googleupdatecomregistershell64.exe bad image."  with apphelp.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000007b"

"sfc /scannow windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation" when I tried running that. It asked me if I wanted to try and repair the drive on startup, which I tried. said 100% then computer rebooted... But I have a feeling this didn't help.

Is this looking like a problem with my SSD? It seems the Vertex 460 have issues. I updated firmware and all and the SSD utility shows it's healthy :/

Edited by outsideyourworld, 22 December 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

Most SSD utilties are just SMART readers.  And SMART is a predictive technology - not a diagnostic.  As such, SMART can say that the drive is good even when it's bad (I've seen this).  It also can (I imagine) say that the drive is bad when it's still good (I haven't seen this).  In short, the only sure test is to try another drive (but I'd say it's a bit too soon for this - at least until you try the following stuff).

The damage seems severe enough that I'd have to suggest these steps (try them in the order that they are in - and test each one to see if it helped before moving onto the next one):

Be sure to backup your stuff if you don't want to take the chance of losing it.:

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)  - doesn't work if you're not able to boot to Windows (let me know and I'll post a way to do it from Startup Repair)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after typing it:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption. Include the CBS log (located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) if you'd like to have a Windows Update expert check it (I don't check them because I can't read them)

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

If all of this doesn't fix it, then you have to wonder about a hardware problem.  Switching the SSD is only one possibility here - but it's one that I'd try sooner rather than later.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 outsideyourworld

outsideyourworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

So startup repair failed. So I moved on to system restore. Restored to just after my last windows reinstall... And now I can't get past the new BSOD on startup.

I get this:"critical driver missing or errors" with NTFS.sys (0xc0000221) being the problem.

So another fresh install of windows on my other HDD and see if it messes up again?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:14 AM

If you have a spare drive, install Windows on it and try it (remove the SSD when trying this).

If it works, then you have to wonder if the problem is the SSD.

FYI - There's no need to register/activate Windows as this is only a test install.
Should you decide to keep it, you can activate it later on.

#8 outsideyourworld

outsideyourworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

So i've been running windows off another HDD for a few days and no issues like before. I installed some Steam games on the SSD and I am getting some errors about corrupt files now and then.

So it's really seeming like an SSD issue, I think? But is there some kind of software to truly verify this? I don't want to send it back to have them just tell me i'm wrong and send it back.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

Unfortunately, there aren't any diagnostics (other than SMART type tools) for SSD's

The true "test" is to try another drive (which it seems that you've done).

I would also check with the SSD manufacturer about what they require for an RMA on it.
If it's covered by warranty, they should have a procedure for you to run before you send it in.

BTW - as SSD's are still fairly new, we'd be interested in hearing what the manufacturer states/requires.

It'll help others who come looking for help with similar problems on their SSD's

TIA!

Edited by usasma, 27 December 2016 - 09:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users