Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions on what I may need for protection on my new

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 huecares123

huecares123

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:17 AM

Dell with windows 7 professional.   All I have at this point is Norton Security.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2016 - 08:13 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

If your copy of Norton is a trial version you need to decide if you want to purchase it so you can continue to use it or go with another antivirus.  There are other paid antivirus programs that are as good or better that Norton, I prefer ESET NOD32.  There are some free antivirus programs as well, like AVAST.

Windows comes with a firewall which probably would be sufficient for general use.

Another option would be to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run scan periodically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 huecares123

huecares123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

If your copy of Norton is a trial version you need to decide if you want to purchase it so you can continue to use it or go with another antivirus.  There are other paid antivirus programs that are as good or better that Norton, I prefer ESET NOD32.  There are some free antivirus programs as well, like AVAST.

Windows comes with a firewall which probably would be sufficient for general use.

Another option would be to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run scan periodically.

I've been using Norton for years so thanks fine. Do I need to install something like CC Cleaner?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:27 PM

CCleaner would be a personal choice.  There are some useful options in it, but I would suggest not using the registry cleaner if you do install it.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 huecares123

huecares123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

CCleaner would be a personal choice.  There are some useful options in it, but I would suggest not using the registry cleaner if you do install it.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

So that would be a personal choice,,,hmm. I have never used it  Maybe just Norton and Malwarebytes?

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

Maybe just Norton and Malwarebytes?

Malwarebytes is a great line of defence,you could also try Hitman Pro for a good second opinion scanner

https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/hmp.aspx

If you want to lock down against Ransomware you could run the very simple and light Cryptoprevent

https://www.foolishit.com/cryptoprevent-malware-prevention/

Also you could install something to manage Zero day exploits like

http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus, Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium if choosing a paid for program as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials.

For other suggestions, please refer to Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

See my comments in that topic and Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend ESET, Emsisoft and Malwarebytes.

You do not need a third party Firewall...just use Windows built-in Firewall which provides adequate protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:52 AM

Hi all!

There is also SpywareBlaster Free / Pro, of which the latter has extra functionality (AutoUpdate).

In addition there is µBlock Origin, Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere and Secunia PSI, all of these are free.

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 22 December 2016 - 07:12 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#9 huecares123

huecares123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

I'm going to install malware bytes and wonder if I should install

2.2.1.1043 or 3.0

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

You may want to read over these topics first.
Malwarebytes 3.0 BC Discussion Topic
Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement
Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

You may also want to read through some of the topics in the Malwarebytes 3.0 Support Forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users