Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't log into my new (home) ASUS router from my Iphone?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 louweed

louweed

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:06 AM

Just installed a new ASUS RT-N12D1 router in my home but I am NOT able to log into the network from my Iphone.  It keeps saying password incorrect when i try to use the same password that i set for the router's login webpage from my PC.  help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:27 AM

is the problem related to connecting to the wifi or to logging into the administration webpage on the asus router?

tfn

#3 louweed

louweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:36 AM

Connecting to wifi from my phone. It recognizes the network but asks me for the password and I'm using the same password I set up on the router admin page but on my phone it says incorrect password?

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

try checking if your 2,4GHz radio is set to 40MHz channel. if so, switch it to 20MHz and try again

tfn

#5 louweed

louweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

try checking if your 2,4GHz radio is set to 40MHz channel. if so, switch it to 20MHz and try again

tfn

i changed it from 20/40 to 20 but it still says incorrect password.   grrrrrr...

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:59 PM

"incorrect when i try to use the same password that i set for the router's login webpage"

You misunderstand.

It is not the logon to the router password that needs to be used but the passphrase you setup [or didn't] on the wifi of the router.  The two passwords should never ever be the same.

I suspect you need to logon to your router and setup the wifi for your phone to access the wifi.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

What model phone do you have? Also, have you tried different encryption modes of the wireless network? Some devices have a hard time with WPA/WPA2 auto detect.

#8 louweed

louweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

"incorrect when i try to use the same password that i set for the router's login webpage"

You misunderstand.

It is not the logon to the router password that needs to be used but the passphrase you setup [or didn't] on the wifi of the router.  The two passwords should never ever be the same.

I suspect you need to logon to your router and setup the wifi for your phone to access the wifi.

are you saying that the login password from my Iphone (6 character minimum) should be different from the router admin page (

#9 louweed

louweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

What model phone do you have? Also, have you tried different encryption modes of the wireless network? Some devices have a hard time with WPA/WPA2 auto detect.

iPhone 6s i was previuosly using an old Dlink DIR-615 and never had any issues. again i just cant log into the network from my phone because it says password incorrect.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:08 PM

"are you saying that the login password from my Iphone (6 character minimum) should be different from the router admin page"

Yes. The router has a web page built into it that you log into to configure it. That is the 192.168.x.x page you access with your browser on your computer. The password you use to log into that page should have nothing to do with the password for the wireless network the router makes. Think of it like the separate key for your car and glove box. You want them to be different so giving someone one doesn't give them both.

Do you remember setting a wireless password or passphrase when configuring the router? If not, try changing the wireless password by using these instructions.

PS. Quoting is really odd on this site. Sometimes it just doesn't work. :-(

Edited by Trikein, 22 December 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#11 louweed

louweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

"are you saying that the login password from my Iphone (6 character minimum) should be different from the router admin page"

Yes. The router has a web page built into it that you log into to configure it. That is the 192.168.x.x page you access with your browser on your computer. The password you use to log into that page should have nothing to do with the password for the wireless network the router makes. Think of it like the separate key for your car and glove box. You want them to be different so giving someone one doesn't give them both.

Do you remember setting a wireless password or passphrase when configuring the router? If not, try changing the wireless password by using these instructions.

PS. Quoting is really odd on this site. Sometimes it just doesn't work. :-(

GOT IT!! thank you so much!!!

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:43 PM

always a good idea to review the routers manual for the setup steps/stages

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users