Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted .OLD Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trimmer1

trimmer1

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:33 PM

I let Revo Uninstaller's junk file cleaner delete "system.old" and "software.old" in C:\Windows\System32\config folder. I thought they would be recreated at some point. I have "software.blues" and "system.blues", they're (very) slightly smaller in size. Also, in properties, the "system" and "software" files were modified today.....the created date is 2009, the time the PC/HDD was made(?), I bought & set it up Aug. 4, 2010.

Running W 7 SP1 x64 - Thanks in advance, best regards,
-Dale

Edited by trimmer1, 20 December 2016 - 11:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

I seem to be dense this morning...but...what is the problem?  What is it you want to know or correct?

FWIW:  Files with the .old extension....are backup files or files which have been renamed by a user.  They are not pertinent at all to the proper operation of Windows.

http://fileinfo.com/extension/old

If you are asking about Revo's program and its workings...this topic needs to be moved to a different forum.

Louis

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

Dale,

Did you ever restore the registry from the recovery environment, or did you bring your PC to a repair shop to get it repaired? I'm guessing that long ago the registry got corrupted, and you restored it from backups in the RegBack folder. Depending on the method you used, you may have renamed some of the files to have a .old extension. Below is a quote from Microsoft's TechNet forums, demonstrating how to restore the registry:

Reset the registry

===================

Cd  c:\windows\system32\config

Ren  default  default.old

Ren  sam  sam.old

Ren  security  security.old

Ren  software  software.old

Ren  system  system.old

Copy  c:\windows\system32\config\regback\default.old  default

Copy  c:\windows\system32\config\regback\sam.old  sam

Copy  c:\windows\system32\config\regback\security.old  security

Copy  c:\windows\system32\config\regback\software.old  software

Copy  c:\windows\system32\config\regback\system.old  system

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the link hamluis. A virus wiped this PC out in Oct. 2013. I did ONE factory restore, besides that it's never been out of this room. I'm surprised it runs so well. (bwv848) - In c:\windows\system32\config my PC don't have "software.old" or "system.old" (#2) files. They're the only #2 I deleted. In c:\windows\System32\config\RegBack there's #5 files (no .old), I never touch them. All I need to know: Did I mess up? Do I need "software and system.old"?

Everything is running good, no errors. I hope I'm not confusing anyone, I'm dyslectic and slow to learn.

Edited by trimmer1, 21 December 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

They are not needed.  Typically, they are created by a Windows install over another install and they serve no purpose other than allowing users afraid to delete...to keep them on hand.

Louis

#6 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

Thanks very much. I know all, seems to me, .old files in W 9x were safe to delete. I went from W 98 SE, to Vista then W 7, never had XP. I didn't keep Vista ....got W 7 within several months. I thank you kindly, have a good day.

-Dale

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

Happy computing :).

Louis

#8 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

Wanted to say thanks Louis. You have a nice image here, I saved it. I appreciate the help. I should have known I didn't need those files, been using a PC since W 98. Happy holidays,

-Dale

Edited by trimmer1, 23 December 2016 - 02:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users