Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads OK, Installs nothing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 emwickok

emwickok

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

I haven't been able to install anti-virus programs, Adobe updates or anything else for months.  Lived with it but I now need to fix it.   The downloads works fine but when I try to install, the installer has to close due to errors.  I don't know when it started.  Where do I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

Depends how bad the problem is and how broken and buggered windows is all the way around.

Is it just when you try to install things that you have problems or are their other things that don't really work anymore ?

Whens the last time you did a reinstall ?

Ps what is your installed anti-virus atm ?

#3 emwickok

emwickok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:53 PM

I've been trying to install one.  AVG, Norton, Mcafee nothing will install.  Re-install?  I don't know if we still have the XP cd,  years.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

Ya but what AV did you have installed befor that ?

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:23 AM

Check in services that Windows Installer service is started and not disabled. Mine is started but set to manual.

Try the manual fix here (number 2) to fix Windows Installer

https://www.techsupportall.com/microsoft-windows-installer-error-message/

Forgot to mention ..run a system file check too.

Edited by opera, 21 December 2016 - 01:29 AM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:46 AM

If i didn't know any better id say you link was to a fake site or something got this when i went thier.

Ps i don't use java script or flash player and as well have other defences in place but i don't have this problem when going to sites.

Your access to this service has been temporarily limited. Please try again in a few minutes. (HTTP response code 503)

Reason: Exceeded the maximum number of page not found errors per minute for a crawler.

Important note for site admins: If you are the administrator of this website note that your access has been limited because you broke one of the Wordfence blocking rules. The reason your access was limited is: "Exceeded the maximum number of page not found errors per minute for a crawler.".

If this is a false positive, meaning that your access to your own site has been limited incorrectly, then you will need to regain access to your site, go to the Wordfence "options" page, go to the section for Rate Limiting Rules and disable the rule that caused you to be blocked. For example, if you were blocked because it was detected that you are a fake Google crawler, then disable the rule that blocks fake google crawlers. Or if you were blocked because you were accessing your site too quickly, then increase the number of accesses allowed per minute.

If you're still having trouble, then simply disable the Wordfence advanced blocking and you will still benefit from the other security features that Wordfence provides.

If you are a site administrator and have been accidentally locked out, please enter your email in the box below and click "Send". If the email address you enter belongs to a known site administrator or someone set to receive Wordfence alerts, we will send you an email to help you regain access. Please read this FAQ entry if this does not work.

Edited by shadow_647, 21 December 2016 - 02:49 AM.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:14 AM

http://www.urlvoid.com/scan/techsupportall.com/

I go with the other 24 sites that are listed.

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

Hi, emwickok.

Could you let us have some idea of what hardware you're using?

- Make & model would be good.

-CPU, amount of RAM, type of/size of HDD, graphics card (if any) would also be very helpful.

We already know what operating system you're running, but depending on your answer, I may make a few suggestions.....which you may, or may not, wish to act upon. They will only be suggestions, but they may be able to make your computer act like it's young & spry again. (No, I'm not lying; and it's not a scam, neither.)

XP is not at all secure nowadays; I'd go so far as to say it's actually dangerous for anything involving web access (and that's the one place many of us spend quite a bit of time in these days). It may be time to consider trying out something else. Something which won't need anti-virus/anti-malware, and all that nonsense.

Let us have your hardware specs, if you would, and we'll see where we can go from there. The CPU and/or amount of RAM will be the real 'crunch-point'.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 December 2016 - 02:42 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:11 AM

It may be time to consider trying out something else. Something which won't need anti-virus/anti-malware, and all that nonsense.

Are you perchance talking about linux? ;)

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

It may be time to consider trying out something else. Something which won't need anti-virus/anti-malware, and all that nonsense.

Are you perchance talking about linux? ;)

Shhh..! I didn't say that....

What do you think??  :lol:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 December 2016 - 09:00 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:56 AM

Puppy Linux :P

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:04 AM

Puppy Linux :P

Blast!!

I didn't think I was that easy to read.....  :blush:  :lol:

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

Please...make an effort and stay on topic.  If you wish to diver this topic to a linux discussion topic...be aware that such does not respect the OP at all.  OP has not posted since 20 Dec.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users