Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can my computer ran Win 7 and Server on VMware Workstation w/ WIN7 32?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iclearwater

iclearwater

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:08 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure if I post on the right forum because I think I should reinstall system of my computer with 64-bit system.

Problem: 

I want to run Windows 7 and Windows Server on VMWare Workstation at the same time, but if I  just run Window7 on VMWare Workstation and my laptop becomes very lag. 

My laptop:

-RAM: 4G
-Windows 7 32-bit
-CPU: quard Core [/size]

Do you think if I install a system with 64-bit system, the problem will be solved? If no, any suggestion even on hardwards? 

If more info about my laptop is needed to solve the problem, please let me know. 

Many thanks!

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2017 - 05:57 PM.
Moved from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

Your host machine will need to have enough RAM and CPU in order to run a VM properly since you be allocating your system giving the VM some memory and the CPU while also maintaining some resources for the host itself.

If the CPU is a i5 processor, then you will still need to add more memory to the laptop first before trying to create another VM and allocate them correctly for both to function. If you give your VM too much resource, your host machine will suffer causing both the lag.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:47 AM

If the CPU is a i5 processor, then you will still need to add more memory to the laptop first before trying to create another VM and allocate them correctly for both to function. If you give your VM too much resource, your host machine will suffer causing both the lag.

iclearwater has a 32-bit version of Windows.  

A 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not be able to utilize the total amount because the address space is only 4GB in size.  The draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well.  The amount of available RAM will very between 3.3GB and 3.5GB.

Because of this they will not benefit from adding more RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 iclearwater

iclearwater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

Hi MasterNe0 and dc3,

Thank you very much for your help.

I had logged on to see if anyone replied in a few days after I created this thread, but no one answered, so I didn't log on again until today. I am glad you help me with this problem.

So how do I update my computer hardware? How many processors and how big the RAM do I need in order to run them smoothly?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If the CPU is capable of using a 64-bit operating system you could install a 64-bit version of Windows.  But you would need to purchase the installation media in order to acquire COA  product code.  You will not be able to use the product code which came with your 32-bit version.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 iclearwater

iclearwater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:21 AM

Hi dc3,

It's very thoughtful of you to teach me step by step with pictures how to use use Speccy, because I indeed know lilttle about computer.  However I couldn't access the download page you provided with. I went to the website of Speccy and accessed another download source-Filehippo, but it keeps reminding-The programme is being downloaded, but nothing happened as I waited and waited. The file is very small and it shouldn't have taken so long time. 

I used DOS to get a list of my computer. Do you think the following info. is enough?

Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.161007-0600)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
 System Model: 33661A8
 BIOS: Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.2
 Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2348M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
 Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2176MB RAM
Page File: 3429MB used, 1423MB available

Thank you!

PS. I used another software and got the motherboard info as below:
Lenovo 33661A8 ( Intel HM77 Express)

Edited by iclearwater, 12 January 2017 - 05:31 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

The Speccy provides a wide range of information, not just component specifications.  Below is an example of what information is provided in a Speccy Snapshot.  Just click on the link to view the report.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rVtpY0pZkWx5kvy0GlWv7PS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users