Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

making a clone "shrinks" my external HD ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:08 PM

As titled, I used Macrium Reflect to make a clone of my 250 GB laptop HD in an external 1TB HD (taken from a desktop).

I was expecting to have some 700 GB left for me to store some other data, but when Macrium Reflect was done making a clone (~4hr), I noticed that my 1TB HD was "recognized" as a 250 GB external HD ???.

How should I copy all files into my 1TB HD without "changing" it from 1TB to 250 GB ?

I kinda don't want to "create an image", as I don't like the "interface" (preferring the usual desktop-like interface for me to click and launch programs). Other than creating an image or making a clone, is there any other systematic way to copy and transfer ALL files from my laptop HD to the external 1TB HD.

If possible, please provide a link with somewhat detailed info, as my knowledge in computer is very fragmented and rudimentary.

Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

This is normal. A clone of a 250GB partition to a 1TB disk will result in a disk having a 250GB partition with roughly 700GB of unallocated space. You need to expand the partition into the unallocated space.

Download Partition Wizard. Run the Program and select Resize/Move. Left click the right arrow of the partition box and drag it all the way to the right. Click Apply.

All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked. This will let you back out of any steps if you make a mistake.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

This is normal.

Depends on the cloning program. Some cloning programs will resize partitions to fit the new drive (either increase or decrease* in size). For example, Acronis TrueImage can be set to automatically resize any partitions when cloning to a different size drive.

* Decreasing assuming that the new drive still is large enough to fit all the data contained on the old drive.

#4 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

Thanks a lot !! Easier than I thought. Have a follow-up question and will post it as a separate question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users