Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless adapter sometimes restarts itself

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

I have a Netgear AC1200 external wireless adapter connected on the USB 3.0 ports on the back of my computer. Every once in while, I'll lose internet connection as the computer doesn't detect the adapter as a wifi connector, it just detects it as a USB input device. It will do this for 5 - 10 seconds then decide it's a wireless adapter and magically recognize it again and connect to the internet. It has been doing this recently (last 2 weeks or so) but I don't know what could've triggered this.

What I've done:

Updated the drivers - No change

Made sure the power management does not allow the computer to turn it off to save power - It was already on this

Anything else I can do to troubleshoot this?

#EDIT: Here's the link to the Netgear site with the exact Wifi Adapter: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-adapters/a6210.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic. Just in case it's of any use although it's probably something to do with Windows.

Edited by Planemaster2, 20 December 2016 - 04:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

Disable USB selective suspend. This is for Windows 7 but use the same steps for 10. 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Make sure your Wifi Adapter is set to Maximum Power.

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless adapter settings -> Power Saving mode.  Make sure it is set to Maximum Power. You may not have this setting if using a USB dongle.

It is also a good idea to disable, not uninstall, your LAN adapter in Device Manager. Sometimes Windows 10 gets confused when both are enabled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 December 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

Ok, I've turned off USB Selective Suspend and the Wifi Adapter was already set to maximum power. I'll wait a week or so and see if it's fixed the problem. If it hasn't I'll reply back.

Edited by hamluis, 22 December 2016 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users