Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new build only boots when jumping pins 16-17 on psu.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sfzombie13

sfzombie13

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

i need some help with a computer issue. my son morgan had a gaming computer we built, and it became time to upgrade. for christmas last year, he got an asus p8h77-m and a 3.1 ghz xeon e3-1220. he already had 8 gb of ddr3 ram, hyper x fury, so he also got another 8, corsair xms3. the problem is, the other motherboard had 4 pin black and yellow connectors and the new one took 8 pin. the power supply was also small, about 450 w, so i had to replace it. then he got into trouble and we put the computer build on hold.

fast forward to now, christmas again. i ordered a 775 w power supply for $42. i also got a geforce ge1050 and two 8 gb sticks of generic ram (the sticker says a99996c). this time as i am checking it out (i usually just hand him the boxes, but this time i just want to see if it works before handing it to him to put together. if it doesn't, i can have the answers so he doesn't get too frustrated.) it didn't do anything. i got a green led on the motherboard, but nothing else anywhere. i unhooked the power supply and jumped it and checked all the voltages and they were good. then i reseated the connectors, and tried again. nothing. i unhooked everything but the fans, the hard drive, and the 24 pin and jumped it and it booted to the splash page.

it said it had an error and to press f1 to enter setup, then went to the asus control panel. the temperature for the cpu and ram were good. the fan rpms were good, but it had an error on cpu fan 1. it showed 8096 mb of ram, and other than the cpu fan, it looked good. i shut it down, and traced the fans, and they were wrong, the cpu was hooked into chassis 2, and the chassis was going to something else. i corrected them and hooked everything else back up also and tried again. nothing. then i tried while disconnecting things one at a time, until it was back to just hard drive, fans, and 24 pin. nothing. still won't boot.

things i have tried include: tried reseating the cpu and cleaning under the pins/checked for bent pins. didn't find anything but the heatsink was a round copper that didn't fully cover the cpu. it was stamped core-i7 which should have been the same. seems that it should cover the whole thing. i tried booting from a usb drive with yumi and also tried the old video card.

the only way i can get it to boot is to keep the jumper in pins 16-17, move the clrtc jumper to pin 1-2, hitting the power button on the power supply, then turning it off and replacing the jumper on pin 2-3. then i get a red light by the mem light and it boots. the only os i had on the flash was kali, but it loaded up really quickly and recognized everything. it showed 23.5 gb of ram, the geforce card, and the 240 gb ssd. it also goes straight into the boot process with no errors, and when i go into the bios everything is good. anything else i may have missed? sorry it is so long, ask if you need any other details. merry christmas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

i ordered a 775 w power supply for $42.

Manufacturer and model for that one?

#3 sfzombie13

sfzombie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

had to take it out as th label was on the other side.  it is a replace power rp-atx-850-gn.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

had to take it out as th label was on the other side.  it is a replace power rp-atx-850-gn.

Could you provide a link to the site you bought it from?

#5 sfzombie13

sfzombie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:07 PM

​no.  i was on another computer.  it was from amazon though.

#6 sfzombie13

sfzombie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

man, this has got me stumped.  the thing is blazing fast and i installed debian on a partition just to work with it and benchmark it.  it takes about 2 seconds to boot, one before i login, one after.  booting is like opening a program on a fast computer.  it just needs reset every time it turns on.  i can move the pins to clear it, then put them back and turn it on and reboot any number of times, but if the power supply physically turns off, i have to clear the jumper again.  this is crazy, and what could possibly be making the power switch not work?  the front panel connectors only fit onto one connector each, but i am starting to think they are the wrong ones anyway.  i can't wait to see this one playing some games.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

You mean this one? https://www.amazon.com/Replace-Power-RP-ATX-850W-GN-Supply-Green/dp/B017MT9MDC

That's crap. Replace with something better ASAP.

• Connectors: 1 x 20/24 pin, 4 x 4-Pin Molex, 1 x FDD, 4 x SATA, 1 x 8-PIN (4+4) EPS12V, 1 x 6+2 Pin PCI-e
  • Replace Power RP-ATX-850W
  • Wattage: 850 Watts
  • Form Factor: ATX
  • Designed with green LED Lighting
  • Power Output Specifications
  • +3.3V@15A
  • +5V@15A
  • +12V@66A
  • -12V@0.5A
  • +5VSB@2.5A
  • Color: Black
  • Weight: 3.9 lbs

Bolded part alone tells more than enough.

#8 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

You mean this one? https://www.amazon.com/Replace-Power-RP-ATX-850W-GN-Supply-Green/dp/B017MT9MDC

That's crap. Replace with something better ASAP.

• Connectors: 1 x 20/24 pin, 4 x 4-Pin Molex, 1 x FDD, 4 x SATA, 1 x 8-PIN (4+4) EPS12V, 1 x 6+2 Pin PCI-e
  • Replace Power RP-ATX-850W
  • Wattage: 850 Watts
  • Form Factor: ATX
  • Designed with green LED Lighting
  • Power Output Specifications
  • +3.3V@15A
  • +5V@15A
  • +12V@66A
  • -12V@0.5A
  • +5VSB@2.5A
  • Color: Black
  • Weight: 3.9 lbs

Bolded part alone tells more than enough.

I looked at that one and came to the same conclusion but I got a little confused since OP said it was a 775W rated PSU.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

That's just another reason to avoid it   :smash:

#10 sfzombie13

sfzombie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

must be a typo on something because it has 2 connectors, one is 6+2 the other is 4+4 and it is 775 w.  works just fine also.  while everyone was distracted by the power supply, i figured it out.  turns out that since i reuse old crap, i wasn't thinking about advances with connectors.  just because the connector fits doesn't mean that's where it goes...after talking to a facebook buddy who builds computers i learned that most newer cases come with individual opwer cables rather than a connector from the panel like they used to.  now, after ordering some individual connectors, my son can solder them onto the old connector and use the power button as it was intended.  but until then, he can use the computer.  i can't wait to see him with some of his games.  i have never seen a 2 second boot time on anything.

​how do i mark a thread as solved? 

Edited by sfzombie13, 21 December 2016 - 08:43 PM.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

Just wait till your cheapo 350watt psu with a fake sticker on it saying 800watts explodes,should be funny, but ya GL HF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:16 AM

must be a typo on something because it has 2 connectors, one is 6+2 the other is 4+4 and it is 775 w.  works just fine also.  while everyone was distracted by the power supply, i figured it out.  turns out that since i reuse old crap, i wasn't thinking about advances with connectors.  just because the connector fits doesn't mean that's where it goes...after talking to a facebook buddy who builds computers i learned that most newer cases come with individual opwer cables rather than a connector from the panel like they used to.  now, after ordering some individual connectors, my son can solder them onto the old connector and use the power button as it was intended.  but until then, he can use the computer.  i can't wait to see him with some of his games.  i have never seen a 2 second boot time on anything.

​how do i mark a thread as solved? 

Those connectors are for different uses. Just because both have 8 connectors total, does not mean they are the same.

In any case, that PSU is crap. If you want to try your luck, go ahead but keep in mind that it may burn your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users