Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Your computer is blocked"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rje9

rje9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:53 AM

I'm new to posting here, so hopefully I'm in the right forum. If not, hopefully I can be directed where best to post.  Thanks.

Last week, I had my Chrome browser blocked with a pop-up that said my computer was blocked and gave me phone numbers to call.  The good news is that my system was *not* blocked, only the Chrome browser.  Using instructions from a friend, I uninstalled Chrome, deleted the Chrome folder in LocalAppData, rebooted and reinstalled Chrome.  All was well.

Then the same problem occurred again today.  It was easy to again resolve things, but clearly it seems that something is on my system causing this to be an ongoing problem.  I don't know if I can properly describe the pop-up I'm getting, but this link below describes if pretty closely, if that helps --

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/10071-your-computer-has-been-blocked-scam

Any assistance is appreciated.  Thanks.

RJE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

Good news is your system isn't hit by ransomware, that's just a common tech support scam. Do NOT call the number or anything. You may have an extension in your browser or a PUP installed that is bring it back, or you may be stumbling upon a bad website.

I'm sure quietman7 will have some more resources to look into.

If you need help with malware removal or suspect you are infected, I'd suggest posting a topic in the "Am I Infected?" forums.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 rje9

rje9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

Thanks very much.  I appreciate the reply and "good news."  Happily, no, I haven't called the number and did immediately recognize it as a scam.  (I don't *think* it's a bad website -- this most-recent pop-up came after clicking on a link on the Chicago Tribune site.  But who knows?)  As a quick fix, I was told that I could just end the Chrome process and then re-open the browser without opening the saved tabs.  If that works, it's easy (though annoying).  If there's some way to not keep getting these, all the better.  But it's a good, substantive first step.  

Anyway, thanks again.

RJE

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,586 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

An Ad-Blocker will block a majority of them. Even legitimate websites get bad ads all the time (news sites are notorious). I would recommend uBlock Origin, they have an extension for Chrome and Firefox, whichever is your flavor.

If you stumble across any more, feel free to PM the URL to me (and if you happen to recall the website you were on that "activated" it), and I can see about getting them reported to the host(s).

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 rje9

rje9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Thanks so much.   In fact, I'd just been told to try uBlock -- but saw there were three and didn't know which one was best.  So, I'll go add-on the uBlock Origin flavor.

I see there's a Demonslay335 on Twitter.  Is that you, for the PM you're referring to?

In this case, for what it's worth, I got the pop-up after clicking on a link on the Chicago Tribune website.  Hardly a risky place to be, but -- a) you do say that news sites are notorious, and this is certainly a news site!, b-) they might have a problem they're unaware of, and c) it might be unrelated to them.

Thanks again.

RJE

Edited by rje9, 20 December 2016 - 01:33 PM.

#6 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,586 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:47 PM

Yep, @demonslay335 is my Twitter account. :wink: It's also linked to my profile here. You can PM me here or DM me on Twitter, either is a good platform to get a hold of me.

#7 rje9

rje9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

Again, thanks very much.  That's very thoughtful and appreciated.

I now have uBlock Origin added, so hopefully things are moving forward.

Thanks again.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

Unsolicited phone calls, browser pop-ups and emails (aka Tech Support Scamming) from "so-called Support Techs" advising "your computer is infected with malware", “All Your Files Are Encrypted" and other fake "alert messages" has become an increasing common scam tactic over the past several years. The scams may involve web pages with screenshots of fake Microsoft (Windows) Support messages, fake reports of suspicious activity, fake warnings of malware found on your computer, fake ransomware and fake BSODs all of which include a tech support phone number to call in order to fix the problem. More nefarious scammers will talk their victims into allowing them remote control access of the computer so they can install a Remote Access Trojan in order to steal passwords and other sensitive personal information which could then be used to access bank accounts or steal a person's identity. These are a few examples.

Cyber-criminals are very innovated....they are always developing creative and more sophisticated techniques to scare their victims into providing personal information or stealing their money for financial gain.

For more information and resources to protect yourself from scams, please read Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams...there are suggestions near the bottom for dealing with scams and a list of security scanning tools to use in case the usual methods do not resolve the problem.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users