Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC boots up but will not display anything, fans spin but no visual output for at

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sanj15

sanj15

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

my acer aspire m5201 has been having issues with booting for the last 6 months and i would like to solve the issue.
When booting up the fans will spin and the front aspire logo on the case will illuminate but the power indicator button does not illuminate and nothing is displayed on the monitor which indicates their is no signal and therefore goes into standby mode. the keyboard and mouse do not light up either so they are not functional during this initial 30 min period 

The only workaround i have found with this problem is to allow the PC to boot up slowly and after about 30mins the PC will load up to the acer screen with the f8 and f12 buttons in which it will boot up to windows and work as normal, but as you can see this is still a major inconvenience as i am unable to use the PC when in a rush etc. Another issue is that when put into sleep and left for a number of hours it will do this same process again as it will not display anything when the keyboard is pressed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

What OS is installed?

Thanks

#3 sanj15

sanj15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

I'm running windows vista home premium service pack 1

cheers

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:54 AM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001088.htm#hdd

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

Classic power supply failure.  Five volts has failed.  fans run on 12 volts.

#6 sanj15

sanj15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

i have opened my pc and i have noticed that when powered on all fans (graphics card, PSU, case fans) are all working as normal not overly fast or slow, but the power indicator on front of the case is not lit but works as this is the button pressed to power on the pc. another concern i noticed along with the non powered USB devices (mouse, keyboard, external hard drive) the top DVD drive does not open when the button is pressed but the lower Bluray drive does open when pressed. in addition to this when removing the cover on the case the drive DVD drive was making a  noise this does however stop once the computer fully powers up after approx 30 mins.

i originally thought it was the PSU but the fact the fan is working alters my view slightly but i am no expert, but i am still unsure as what the main cause of this issue is.

last year i replaced a bad stick of RAM which was causing an issue upon boot up but this has since been fixed, another issue which caused the PC to restart itself after overheating was an astonishing amount of dust clogging the fans which has since been rectified, therefore i am stuck in a situation where i do not want to buy a new PSU as this may not fix the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users