I have two ASUS TF701 android tablets. Had them for 2 or 3 years and have never had any problems with either of them streaming Netflix. As of yesterday, neither of them will connect to Netflix. I get a message "Sorry, we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. (-9)". I turned off automatic updates long ago and I didn't manually update anything beforehand. One day it worked. The next it doesn't. I can get online with all other apps installed on the tablets. Only Netflix is having an issue. Current steps I've tried so far on 1 of the tablets:
1. Uninstalled all updates to Netflix and tried it. It forced the new updates when trying to open it and did not connect afterwards.
2. Did a complete wipe and factory reset on the tablet. I didn't have anything important on it because all I use it for anymore is lying in bed streaming Netflix. That didn't help.
3. Researching that -9 error lead me to reset my ATT NVG589 router. Didn't help.
4. Turned on the wifi hotspot on my phone and connected the tablet. Netflix opened right away and worked without issue. That surprised me! I have found that as long as I open the show and begin to watch it, I can turn off my hotspot and the tablet will reconnect to my home router and will work fine. If I exit the show, I can no longer access any others on Netflix via my home router. I have to connect to my phone hotspot again and repeat the previous steps.
5. Turned on the Guest network on my router and connected my tablet to it. Netflix will not load.
There are 5 android tablets in this house (2 kindle fire 5th gen, 2 ASUS TF701s, and a Lenovo Tab2) and both ASUS tablets are the only ones having the issue. They are both running Android version 4.2.1 and are unable to be updated because ASUS never updates android apparently. When checking for android updates, the tablet says it is up to date. Now, I'm pretty nerdy, but this is beyond me. Both tablets can access the internet with any application but Netflix. Both tablets can access Netflix via the phone hotspot and continue on the home network as long as the show being streamed is opened first. Neither tablet can access Netflix directly through the home router without getting the (-9) error.
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.