Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS TF701 tablet won't connect to Netflix

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

I have two ASUS TF701 android tablets. Had them for 2 or 3 years and have never had any problems with either of them streaming Netflix. As of yesterday, neither of them will connect to Netflix. I get a message "Sorry, we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. (-9)". I turned off automatic updates long ago and I didn't manually update anything beforehand. One day it worked. The next it doesn't. I can get online with all other apps installed on the tablets. Only Netflix is having an issue. Current steps I've tried so far on 1 of the tablets:

1. Uninstalled all updates to Netflix and tried it. It forced the new updates when trying to open it and did not connect afterwards.

2. Did a complete wipe and factory reset on the tablet. I didn't have anything important on it because all I use it for anymore is lying in bed streaming Netflix. That didn't help.

3. Researching that -9 error lead me to reset my ATT NVG589 router. Didn't help.

4. Turned on the wifi hotspot on my phone and connected the tablet. Netflix opened right away and worked without issue. That surprised me! I have found that as long as I open the show and begin to watch it, I can turn off my hotspot and the tablet will reconnect to my home router and will work fine. If I exit the show, I can no longer access any others on Netflix via my home router. I have to connect to my phone hotspot again and repeat the previous steps.

5. Turned on the Guest network on my router and connected my tablet to it. Netflix will not load.

There are 5 android tablets in this house (2 kindle fire 5th gen, 2 ASUS TF701s, and a Lenovo Tab2) and both ASUS tablets are the only ones having the issue. They are both running Android version 4.2.1 and are unable to be updated because ASUS never updates android apparently. When checking for android updates, the tablet says it is up to date. Now, I'm pretty nerdy, but this is beyond me. Both tablets can access the internet with any application but Netflix. Both tablets can access Netflix via the phone hotspot and continue on the home network as long as the show being streamed is opened first. Neither tablet can access Netflix directly through the home router without getting the (-9) error.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

What ISP are you on? I saw reports of issues with Netflix on Verizon FIOS. Also, any connection to MobileGo or any of the Asus drivers on your PC?

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

ISP: ATT DSL. Unfortunately, that is the only option we have here in the boonies.

I have no ASUS drivers on my PC, (this is on a tablet, not a PC, just to be clear) and MobileGo was uninstalled when I did the factory reset. I have no other issues that I have been able to find except with accessing Netflix. And Netflix only has an issue when trying to establish a connection on my home network. If I connect via my phone's hotspot (who's carrier is ATT) first and then allow my home network to take the connection, it works fine.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

I have been hearing issues with DNS. Have you tried using Google DNS?

Also, try testing your speed to Netflix's servers with their speed test.

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Google DNS didn't help and the speed test is the same as all the other devices in the house that use Netflix.

We're in the process of rooting one of the ASUS tablets so we can try the newest version of Android on it to see if that works. Any other suggestions from anyone?

I appreciate the help so far.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

One thing that comes to mind is the HTTPS needed for the connection. Do you notice if you have any other problems with apps that use HTTPS, like banking apps? Also, you can try a android network troubleshooting app like ezNetscan although I don't have any personal experience with it. With it, you should be able to scan port 443 and attempt to ping Netflix.

You can also try Netflix's built in troubleshooter:

1. Open the Netflix app.
  2. Select the menu icon.
    Note: Some Android devices have a menu button on the actual device, other devices have an icon you can select within the Netflix app.
  3. Select About.
  4. Within the Diagnostics section, select Network.
  5. Select Start Test.

::Edit:: I just realized something. Are you trying to stream Netflix ON the tablet or FROM the tablet? As in are you trying to cast Netflix from the tablet onto a TV with say Chromecast?

Edited by Trikein, 20 December 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#7 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:41 PM

Streaming Netflix on the tablet, not through the tablet. Actually watching Netflix on the tablet.

Youtube uses https and it works fine on both tablets.

Tried ezNetscan but it wouldn't give me anything useful. Couldn't ping Netflix with it. I downloaded the IP Tools app and used ipaddress.com to get the current ip addresses to Netflix and Youtube. I can ping Youtube but I cannot ping Netflix.

Edited by possumbarnes, 20 December 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

What IP are you pinging? The IP address for Netflix.com is not where you are receiving Netflix content on the tablet. Netflix uses data centers all over the world and then secondary CDNs on your ISP.

To find that IP, log into Netflix with a laptop or desktop, as if to watch a movie, then press CTRL+ALT+Shift+D. A screen will come up and look for where it says "Current CDN" and there will be a server. For me it is c049.bos001.ix.nflxvideo.net. Then ping(on the laptop) what ever server your CDN is to get a IP. Finally try to Ping that IP on the tablet. If it doesn't work, try a traceroute. Oddly enough, the tablets may actually connect to a different Netflix server, but that will tell us something. 

Anyone else reading have a Asus tablet that can try to replicate? I wonder if maybe they are like Samsung tablets that require you to download the app direct from them?

Edited by Trikein, 20 December 2016 - 06:41 PM.

#9 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:54 PM

CTRL+ALT+Shift+D does nothing at all. No window opens and no new tab opens. I went to ipaddress.com and search for "www.netflix.com". Each time I search, it gives me a different IP and neither tablet can ping any of them. However, to test I'm doing nothing wrong, I also search "www.youtube.com". It gives me a different IP each time, but both tablets can ping those IPs without issue.

As far as being like the Samsung tablets, both of these ASUS tablets worked fine for 2 years up until yesterday. I didn't update the Netflix app before going into it and having this issue. After I had trouble logging into Netflix the first time, then I updated the Netflix app. Didn't help. Then I began troubleshooting as listed in my OP.

I'm stumped so hopefully you or someone else has some more ideas. Like I said a couple of posts ago, we are trying to root one of them right now so we can update to the latest version of Android.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

CTRL+ALT+Shift+D only works inside a streaming Netflix movie window and only in a browser running Netflix with HTML5 and not Silverlight. So not the sign in page or even the menu, but while a movie is actually playing. The menu will look like this

xnHnp7i.png

#11 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:36 PM

Ok. That worked. I pinged that server from my PC and got the IP. I pinged that IP from the tablet and all 10 packets came back in less than 50 ms. Immediately after pinging it, I tried going into Netflix (just because) and it gave me the same error (-9).

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

The reason the IP changes is there are many IP addresses for the Netflix website, but none of them have to do with the content on the website. Netflix.com is user interface to stream movies from different servers at nflxvideo.net. Firewalls used by Netflix's ISP block the packets used for pinging to help protect against DDOS attacks. Youtube doesn't block those packets, thats why you can ping youtube.com.

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

Yea, I don't know. I will chew on it a bit more but I am running out of ideas. Maybe it's a bug with the app for 4.2.1? Would you consider upgrading the OS of one of them? Latest compatible is 4.4.

#14 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

We're trying that tomorrow. The problem is ASUS doesn't update Android on this tablet, apparently. We have to root it and update it. We'll be trying to finish that tomorrow. I'll post back if we're successful. Thanks for the help so far!

#15 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

Finally got one of them rooted and Android 6.0.1 installed. It went straight to Netflix without issue. That doesn't explain why the old setup just suddenly stopped working unless it's on Netflix's end of things. Anyway, thanks for all the help, Trikein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users