Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best file system browser

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:44 AM

Default windows explorer is a sack of trash and in each newer version of windows past win98 it gets worse as douse your default ability to search for files, win vista or newer you can't find anything in their, win7 doesn't even let you search for things in a folder, know how you find the EXE your looking for in win7 default search.

Simple start/search *.exe = 10000000000 print out of every EXE on the computer, WOW pos epic suck.

this is what i use, so what do you use ?

Ps: windows loves to hide files/data in partitions/HDD and each new version of the Os the topic get worse, its like windows has a built in rootkit for hiding things, i nuke that topic dead in my install, if its on my hdd i want to see it what about you ?

Example:http://www.forensicfocus.com/dissecting-ntfs-hidden-streams

file_system.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2016 - 09:04 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Tips/Tricks - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

You know that some files are hidden and marked as system files for a reason, right?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,951 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

You know that some files are hidden and marked as system files for a reason, right?

+1 :thumbup2:

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 tomtiha

tomtiha

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:35 AM

Personally I prefer FreeCommander if your are looking for tabs,dual-pane interface and other powerful features. Multi commander is also similar and free !

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

I know that stile and i don't like horizontal stile twin plains, FreeCommander reminds me of the old norton commander of old for dos in a lot of ways, it was ok for its time and better then dealing with dos then command line but FreeCommander reminds me of the same thing just for windows.

multi commander from the pics i looked at looks like it wastes screen space all the place and is one more file manager that is twin horizontal not vertical.

Sadly iv bin looking for a replacement for a long time and have yet to find one that's better over all though more often then not i just use the default one in winxp.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,931 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators