Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows system32 drivers acpi sys is missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Usseles

Usseles

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:25 AM

Please help me
My computer is HP and was running beautifully but now whenever i start it up it says a file is missing or corrupted. And that files is acpi.sys
I cannot run it in safe mode or safe mode with networking.
I tried reseting it multiple times but it says no changes were made to your computer
Please help me i dont have a repair disk

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2016 - 12:01 PM.
Moved from W10 Discuss to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MichaelV702

MichaelV702

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

The Windows ACPI driver, Acpi.sys, is an inbox component of the Windows operating system. The responsibilities of Acpi.sys include support for power management and Plug and Play (PnP) device enumeration. (Reference: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff540493(v=vs.85).aspx)

Follow this flow for me please:

Hardware or driver problem identification

1. Remove all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.
2. Restart the computer.
Does this work?

If it does not
1. Use step one from above again
2. Restart the computer into Safe Mode (NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.)
**NOTE: If you have 8/10 and CANNOT get to the steps in the KB article because of your error try this: SHUT DOWN COMPUTER FIRST! Next, Press and hold CTRL, press power button and immediately start pressing F11
***If the above note doesn't work force reboot your computer a few times by holding down power after allowing it a moment to attempt to boot hold down until the unit is completely off, repeat a few time you'll then get a blue screen with options to take you into "Advanced Options" (This may not come up as an option until startup repair completes)

At this point in my instructions I will need you to report back IF you were able to get back into your system and see your desktop and note which process worked. From there we can move forward onto additional troubleshooting.

Also please report back with answers to the best of your ability to the following Questions:

1. What OS do you have? (Example: Windows 7, 8/8.1 or Windows 10)
2. When did you notice this problem? (Happened while using the PC or after being rebooted?)
3. When the problem happened did you make any changes to the system? (Example: installed software, added hardware to the computer like more RAM? or Printer/USB device?)
4. Shortly before the problem, did your computer show signs of unusual activity? (Slowness, pop-ups or error codes any noises?)

Thanks

Edited by MichaelV702, 22 December 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#3 MichaelV702

MichaelV702

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

Hi Usseles,

I've reviewed your edit to the original post can you clarify in a reply by answering those questions for:

1. When did you notice this problem? (Happened while using the PC or after being rebooted?)
2. When the problem happened did you make any changes to the system? (Example: installed software, added hardware to the computer like more RAM? or Printer/USB device?)
3. Shortly before the problem, did your computer show signs of unusual activity? (Slowness, pop-ups or error codes any noises?)

Use a bootable USB to boot into then use it to get into advanced troubleshooting to perform a boot repair via CMD?

All you'd need is a 4GB or higher drive (*Note the reference steps below to create the files on the drive will wipe anything you have on the USB drive so be sure you can use it)

Create an installation USB for Windows 10 reference here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True (You'd  have to use a family or friends computer to accomplish this)

Once you get to the advanced options when booting into it get a CMD going and follow this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows (These specific steps I've recently had to use on a customer that had the same problem and it worked using the bootable USB I created on a working machine to use on the issue one)

While if the first reference link for the boot record repair steps do not work try:

In the CMD window make sure you CD "Change Directory" to the system drive and run: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Also can run an SFC: sfc /scannow

Feel free to reach out and reply on your results from my steps I'd be glad to help further.

Edited by MichaelV702, 22 December 2016 - 11:03 PM.

#4 Usseles

Usseles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:02 AM

Now im very bad with computers but i can answer some of your questions

1: it happened when i rebooted it
2: i made some changes like the start up screen disabling well not disabling but whenever it starts up it goes straight ti startup settings
3: I think it showed signs like pop-ups

and i cant boot into safe mode because it goes straight back to start up

#5 MichaelV702

MichaelV702

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for that info on my questions so at this point is appears to be critical Windows OS startup items or system files are just not coming up (Nothing new to you if you figured that already) but what we have to do now is definitely use a "Bootable Media" style of repair since your internal recovery/startup repair as well as options for Safe Mode will no longer work...

That being said go ahead and stat on my USB instructions on my last reply your main objective there will be:

1. Boot from the drive once you build it on another computer
  2. Inside the advanced options once booted into the USB you need to use "Troubleshoot"
  3. Get a CMD box open then follow the instructions on the page I linked for "The windows club" (These steps 9/10 effectively repair the boot records and put things back in order saving your system)
  4. If the Windows Club instructions do not get you anywhere - repeat bootable steps to get back into "Troubleshoot" re-open a CMD Window make sure you CD or "Change Directory" to the OS Drive can try changing it to C:\ and run the other commands I've mentioned.

*Tip: While in CMD "Command Prompt Window" you can enter command: wmic logicaldisk get name to show a list of device letters you can "Change Directory" to.

I will do my best to continue to help you salvage your situation but please be sure in your next reply to advise what you have tried in my steps and notate what did not work as well as any errors to the best of your ability to just "Plain text explain" the errors in reply.

Edited by MichaelV702, 23 December 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#6 Usseles

Usseles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

Hi, MichealV702

Can you guide me through every single step if you don`t mind. I am very bad with computers and other technological stuff

#7 Usseles

Usseles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

Also, can you download the Windows 10 installation device on a macbook or is it only for copmuters

#8 MichaelV702

MichaelV702

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:43 AM

So to start, you're going to want to use a "PC / Windows computer" not a macbook for the tool. However YES, it's possible to use a MacBook because there are applications that allow usage of windows / PC based tools/programs to run on Macs but for this case I don't recommend it so if you have to use a another computer in the family or a friend with Windows (7 and up is recommended for the process) then that will be my best recommendation for you.

1. On a Windows based PC go here to download the tool from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True "Blue download Tool Button" at the top
  2. Accept the user agreement when you have opened the tool after downloading it. After accepting it will begin to say "Getting things ready"
  3. When its done getting things ready, it will display "What do you want to do?" Select: "Create installation media for another PC"
  4. In this step on the tool, you will need to select the correct "Architecture" meaning 32 or 64 bit and it's important you know which one you need if you don't know just provide me your computer's Make and Model number I can assist with looking up its specs. TIP! - In this step you cannot change ANYTHING unless you UNCHECK "Use the recommend options for this PC" so be sure to uncheck it ONLY IF you need to make a change for the most part the Language and Edition defaults should be "English" and "Windows 10" are just fine unless you need to install in a different language.

BEFORE GOING TO THE NEXT STEPS BELOW, PLEASE HAVE YOUR USB DRIVE YOU INTEND ON USING PLUGGED IN ALREADY! - 4GB or higher is needed (If the drive was used before all data existing on it will be wiped during the next steps so please be aware of that).

1. This next step: "Choose which media to use" it's easy to just select "USB Flash Drive" select the USB drive you wish to install Windows 10 to using this tool. Be sure to select the correct one if you have multiple drives going on. If you're unsure of the drive letter in the list click on your start menu on the PC and select "This PC" or "Computer" then look at the visible drives under "Removable Media" to locate the correct drive to reference for the tool.
  2. After selecting the appropriate drive to make the Windows 10 installation on, you will then see a "Downloading Windows 10" with a progress on the screen. Let it finish then proceed to the next step.
  3. This last step is waiting for the tool's completion screen when you see it click on "Finish" in the lower right the tool will cleanup and then close automatically which you can then remove the USB drive and use it on the other computer for repair steps I've mentioned earlier.

Here is a youtube video made by me on how to create USB Media for Windows 10 using that tool if you'd like to reference it instead: Watch Video

Now the steps for the boot repairs I've mentioned earlier are laid out pretty well on this website as mentioned: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

Should you have trouble with that page in following the steps just let me know here on the forum post and I'll create my version of the steps.

#9 Usseles

Usseles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:00 AM

Is this everything? And thank you so much for your time

#10 Usseles

Usseles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:22 AM

It may take me some time because there is only one computer in my house and that`s the one that has the acpi.sys file missing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users